PDA

View Full Version : Help on slug/nudi ID??

em805
01/04/2007, 12:01 PM
While I was up last night I decided to turn the actinics on my tank on and discovered some kind of slug looking creature which moved about 3/4 the speed of a drop of water down a glass--in kind of a sliding or gliding look. It was about the lenght of a couple dashes (--), it had tiny black spots on the back of it an it didn't seem flat like a flatworm (it was more of a slug looking creature), it was very slender too (about the thickness of a standard paper clip. I also tried to snap a picture of it but, because of the size of the creature I couldn't get my camera to focus on it so after 50 shots all I got is 50 blurrs (sorry)--makes me want to buy another camera or take some photography classes. I spotted it on the black back of my tank, I quickly proceeded to siphon it out with a turkey baster and placed it in a glass with about 1/4 full of tank water.

Next I thought I would try adding a couple of drops of Flatworm Exit to the glass and as I did this the slug looking creature started to squirm and shrivle up over and over. This made me think it was some kind of flatworm, so I retreated my tank with 2x the dosage of Salifert Flatworm Exit. 10 mins into the treatment I see only one more of these creatures floating around, so I take it out with the turkey baster. I complete the treatment after 1hour including carbon and 25% water change. However, I did lose 1 large (4"x4") rock clam (the plain ones that come attached to LR sometimes) which had been in my system for over a year now. I don't know if it was do to the Flatworm dosage I used or if it was because of the toxins which the slug creature released.

Long story short I checked my tank again in the morning and I spotted 1 or 2 (I was still not fully awake and I lost track of the first one which was moving prety fast around a piece of rock, so I couldn't tell if it was the same one or a totally new one).

I am sorry I couldn't get a picture of it but hopefully someone will be able to ID this with the given description. If there is anything I can do to help ID this better just let me know. Thank you!

-Eli

Background information on my tank:

3 weeks ago (after reading all the acro eating flatworm posts) I treated my tank with Salifert Flatworm Exit, just in case I had any. I had no casualties in livestock and everything went well. Additionally, I didn't spot any flatworms before or after the treatment. I used the recomended dosage then after 45 mins I increased the dosage (since I didn't spot anything) as the instructions recomended. Still no worms, so I assume my tank is AEFW free. I have not added anthing to my tank since then or done anything different to suspect AEFW.

P.S. Sorry about the lenght of the post...

em805
01/04/2007, 04:45 PM
bump

em805
01/04/2007, 07:26 PM
Anyone have an idea or should I try posting one of my blurry pics?