PDA

View Full Version : Coral Beauty

tom sumter
01/04/2007, 03:59 PM
I would love to hear from anyone who has kept a Coral Beauty in a reef tank. In your experience, how much of a nuisance to corals are they? Are there particular corals they will nip at and some they avoid?

Any thoughts on this fish would be appreciated, as I would like to get one, but I've read mixed opinions on their reef compatibility.

EdKruzel
01/04/2007, 04:08 PM
CB's are considered on the safer side of the dwarf angels.
Odds are they won't pick at anything, but on occasion they have been guilty of picking at an LPS.
Most softies are too toxic for fish to feed upon, especially sinularia.

All dwarfs are detritivores (eat waste) coral mucus is waste; therefore the rule is never add an angel until the last coral is in place.
New corals will be stressed and produce a copious amount of mucus which is just too tempting to a hungry angel.

The second rule is to feed well and of the proper types of foods, brine shrimp, krill, flake foods and pellets are the equivalent to our fast foods.
Krill is okay if soaked in vitamins prior to feeding and brine is as well if vitamin enriched; flake and pellets usually contain a fair amount of nutrients, however are loaded with binders and fillers causing an excess of waste in the system.

Blazer88
01/04/2007, 04:55 PM
Mine was a horrid fish. It nipped at my SPS, Xenia, and multiple LPS pieces. It also nipped at my Yasha Haze goby and bullied my clowns into the corner of the tank. I kept it well feed with algae sheets, Spectrum pellets, and Mysis. I was happy to see her go and don't plan to add any dwarf angels into my tank.

boilermaker1
01/04/2007, 05:39 PM
Mine's pretty well behaved. If its gonna go for something.... the fleshy stuff is the most likely... brains, bubbles, etc...
Just like every other angel, its going to be a gamble, and the one you get is the only one you'll be able to judge it on. Keep it well fed and it'll probably be less likely to pick.

JamesJR
01/04/2007, 05:45 PM
Mine never bothered anything. My tank was a mixed sps/soft coral reef tank. I had 2 big maximas, star polyps, xoo's mushrooms, lots of xenia,
montipora capricornis, digitata some acroporas and a few toadstool leathers. I never saw him nip once. I had a power outage for 2 days and he was the only fish I lost. Great fish and I will definately try and get one again.

tom sumter
01/04/2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the information, as it's helpful. It's great to hear from people who've had them in their tanks.

Ninong
01/05/2007, 02:06 AM
I have kept both Centropyge bispinosa and C. loriculus without any problems at all but I don't consider them completely reef-aquarium safe. I just considered myself lucky.

:D