PDA

View Full Version : Popping bubble algae: bad or not?

MJAnderson
01/04/2007, 07:30 PM
I've seen people say that popping it causes spores to get into the water column while others say that emerald crabs pop it when they eat it so it can't be that bad. Has anyone seen an answer on this that has something to back it up? I've got this stuff starting to pop up (no pun intended) in 3 places in my tank. My 2 emeralds don't seem to do much for it.

To pop or not pop, that is the question...

wrott
01/04/2007, 07:34 PM
Supposedly some bubbles have spores inside (for reproduction) and others don't.
It doesn't matter if you pop or not, they are there--just pop or prune and may be get 10 new emeralds (from different sources if possible) or a foxface.

reeformadness
01/04/2007, 07:36 PM
To pop or not to pop is always the question. [violation] The subject is always open to debate.

[[Mod edit - let's try to keep this family friendly. Would you want to explain that to your child?]]

Sparkss
01/04/2007, 07:37 PM
to quote the popular saying : Just say no !

Rockitmakr
01/04/2007, 07:39 PM
If you don't like having bubble algae in your tank simply remove it by picking it off your rock. All of the studies that I have read say that Valona should not be punctured or it will release spores into your water column. If you are skimming though, I don't think the spores will last long.
My 2 cents....
:beer:

Tu Ku
01/04/2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I always notice that it spreads when popped. But I've also noticed much more so if it's done in the water of the tank. You've got to try and pry the valonia up from underneath and remove it whole.

John Q Reefer
01/04/2007, 07:49 PM
how about popping it with a needle attached to a vac hose and pop/siphon 8)

cstires
01/04/2007, 08:07 PM
I've always pulled mine off the rock, sometimes they break, but I haven't noticed a major outbreak after popping them...

ridetheducati
01/04/2007, 08:10 PM
Just pop them and let your high performing skimmer get the spores.

The tangs and emeralds that do eat the bubble algae pops them, so what is the problem.

MJAnderson
01/05/2007, 12:17 PM
Going to throw on my canister filter with the heavy duty micron filter and pop away...

thanks all.

slclink
01/05/2007, 12:22 PM
If you pop then the spores spread. Emerald crabs pop and spores spread but they eat the new algea so the cycle continues. Pop/eat, spread, pop/eat, spread and so on. It is easy to get off without poppiing so try to do tha and if it does pop no big worries.

somethingphishy
01/05/2007, 12:54 PM
just removed carefully.... no poping here

ridetheducati
01/05/2007, 01:10 PM
If your skimmer works the spores will not spread. It is spreading because of the excessive nutrients in the tank, not the spores.