PDA

View Full Version : New Crocea "threw its foot"? Goner?

sjm817
01/04/2007, 07:45 PM
I got my first clam, a medium Crocea. I temp acclimated it first, then checked the salinity of the water it was in from the LFS. 1.020...low. Over 1 hr, I added my water and brought it up to 1.025. All my parameter as good, nitrates = 0, PH = 8.2, ca, alk etc all fine. Fish and corals are healthy. I put the clam in and after a couple hrs, I noticed the foot laying on the bottom of the sandbed! At the time, I didn't even know what it was. I called the LFS and he said it threw its foot and it is not a good thing. It may survive, but not likely.

Any thoughts?

mbbuna
01/04/2007, 08:45 PM
it sounds like it just dropped its byssal threads.

was it fibrous? if so i wouldn't worry about it

sjm817
01/04/2007, 09:30 PM
Forgive my ignorance. I'll try to describe. It dropped its whole foot? I should have taken a pic. It was a large cone shaped chunk of tissue with "roots" (byssal threads?) on the end . If I look at the bottom of the clam, there is just a hole there now.

mbbuna
01/04/2007, 10:17 PM
clams can pull there byssal gland into them leaving a whole.

there is a similar thread right now. look at this a tell us if it's similar.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1009686

sjm817
01/04/2007, 10:22 PM
It looked kind of like that, but with the "roots" attached and they were holding on to substrate.

rmanecke
01/05/2007, 02:10 PM
Hey man, I had one that did the same thing. This was 1 or two weeks ago, and, I found the "foot" attached to a rock.

So far, so good, my crocea seems o.k. Good luck.

Ryan.

musty baby
01/05/2007, 02:21 PM
Mine did the same ages ago, doing better than ever now.

tacocat
01/05/2007, 06:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8900346#post8900346 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
It looked kind of like that, but with the "roots" attached and they were holding on to substrate.

Yeah, I had a maxima do that. It shouldn't be a problem, provided it's in a stable location.

Kigs
01/09/2007, 02:34 AM
recently bought a new clam and same thing happend to me. At first I thought it was a dead fish, dead for so long that i thought the roots were bacteria growing out of the body. Then I thought real long and realized that I counted all my fish and there shouldn't be any dead fish. Then I remembered seeing this thing near where I placed my clam the first time. Hopefully this does not mean much and my clam will be ok.

The clam hasn't attatched to a rock or anything, but stays put. Does this mean it is in the process of growing a new foot thus incapable of attaching? Or does this just mean that the clam is not happy where it's at?