PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on my tank!

4G1v3N
01/05/2007, 02:32 AM
I just need some advice on my set up. My tank came with a custom hood, holds only 3 30W t8 10K bulbs. I changed one of those bulbs to a actinic. I know i really cant grow anything with that besides low light anenomes and mushrooms. Also i have around 1,745 GPH total with my skimmer filter and power heads. Also is it worth me getting a wet dry filter?

Basically do i need to build a custom hood and mount new lighting? Do I need more power heads, And do i need to get a new filter system or add a wet dry with my can?

xenon
01/05/2007, 04:41 AM
The general rule is 20-30X your display tank volume per hour. I don't think a skimmer counts for total flow.

Lighting requirements will depend on what you plan to keep. How high is your tank? The deeper the water the more wattage you will need.

Shagsbeard
01/05/2007, 06:51 AM
Most people gave up on wet/dry filtering and went to simply flow through a sump/refugium with a skimmer. You've got plenty of live rock... that's your filter. You've also got plenty of circulation, and a skimmer. If your skimmer is pulling out smelly gunk, then you're set as far as filtering goes. You can occasionally run carbon if you want to though some high flow area.

amike5
01/05/2007, 10:10 AM
You don't need 20x-30x circulation if you are not going to have SPS corals. Your skimmer counts as flow since you don't have a sump; correct?

4G1v3N
01/05/2007, 11:18 AM
Correct i have no sump. Would it be a good idea for me to look into a sump? and how big of one would i need for 80G?

Thank you guys for you opinion's. Much appreciated!

Jordan

Liquid Hobby
01/05/2007, 11:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8903673#post8903673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 4G1v3N
[B]Correct i have no sump. Would it be a good idea for me to look into a sump? and how big of one would i need for 80G?
/B]

As big a sump as you can fit in the stand and still be able ot ge tthe skimmer in and out of it!