PDA

View Full Version : Considering replacing Vortech with Stream

serpentman
01/05/2007, 07:13 AM
Greetings all. 2 Months ago, I purchased 2 Vortech's for my 180. They do provide excellent flow but are so touchy when you move them, clean them, etc. that I am beginning to consider selling them off and going with a pair of 6100's.

I know Tunze's are the staple in this hobby. I just wanted to check and get some feedback on their reliability as well as how quiet they are.

Elite
01/05/2007, 11:33 AM
I don't have the 6100 but my 6000s are pretty quiet and they are the same pump.

GSMguy
01/05/2007, 12:47 PM
jeff call dan at salty he will hook you up also he sells both and knows the differences

serpentman
01/05/2007, 12:51 PM
I bought the Vortec's from SC. At the time they mentioned I should consider the Tunze because they were proven. In hindsight, I think I should have listened.

Lutefisk
01/05/2007, 03:02 PM
My 6100's have been very reliable. You will need to plan on periodic cleaning and if you do I think you will find them to be trouble free.

If you don't clean them they will eventually sound an alarm and sure enough when you take it apart to clean you will find calcium carbonate build up. I clean mine about twice a year. Its pretty simple.

If I get really close to my tank and everything else is perfectly quiet I can hear a "brrrrrrrrrrr" like sound. It has never been a problem for me.

Paul