PDA

View Full Version : Baffle placement

bosscrab
01/05/2007, 12:55 PM
Just got a 30g glass tank for sump. The Q is how do I know where the baffles go and what should the waterlevel be in the sump?
)<((((">

Coraline2020
01/05/2007, 04:19 PM
Hey bosscrab...

You can place the baffles where you would like to separate the sections to any size you want. I just finished doing a 50G sump/fuge (gasless fuge) and made the intake section (skimmer section) just large enough to house skimmer. The next section I was concered about was the return section (remember this is the section where ALL tank evaporoation occurs). I made it as large as possible while still leaving a moderate amount of space for fuge. I have details posted in the Charleston Reef Club Forum (www.charlestonreefers.org). Look in the "Reef Forum" in my 120G thread.

Here's a pic of mine...not pretty silicone work, but it'll hold water...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/Coraline2020/120G%20Reef/S5300044.jpg

Hope this helps...

Coraline2020
01/05/2007, 04:27 PM
Opppsss....forgot to say anything about baffle height...The answer is...I don't know...I know that sounds crazy, but I could never get a straight answer on that one...mine are 12" high inside a 18" high tank...I tried to leave some space at the top of the tank so I would not have to worry about a flood if the power went out...I am also installing a check valve to the return pump plumbing as additional safety meassure...

Sorry, I know this part wasn't much help, but I'm sure others can help with the height issue... ;D

green814
01/05/2007, 09:16 PM
Looks good. Don't worry about the silicone job, mine is probably as bad so, as long as it holds!
Is your return the center or left section? Not sure looking at it. If your fuge is in the center, great idea of the baffle down to the eggcrate! Wish I thought of that, or looked at yours first. Oh well. Are you going to have sand in the bottom or bare?

BC- I just finished my sump from a 50g breeder,36x18x18. I have the intake/skimmer area w/ a 13" baffle ( will raise skimmer up w/ eggcrate ), I put a second baffle that sits 6", maybe 7" off the floor 1 1/2" over from the 13" tall baffle to force water into the "middle" of my fuge, then a bubble trap ( over,under,over ). First 2 baffles are 12" tall middle 1 1/2 off floor, last baffle 11" tall. Spacing is 1 1/2" between each. I am not 100% sure how much drain back room I need yet, but am hoping to have the water level int the fuge & return as tall as 13". I went w/ an 11" baffle so that I don't have a waterfall if I don't top off as quick as I should.( no auto t/o YET!)
One thought I had was to put some gutter gaurd above the first bubble trap baffle. That way if I lose power, the macro algea won't possibly enter the trap. If anyone has a comment on this, please let me & BC know if this is a yes/no/maybe.
Good luck & keep us posted,
Chris
p.s. Forgot to mention that your skimmer will work in water (if in sump) only x# off inches deep. Your baffle height will have to be less than that, or if room allows, skimmer sitting on a stand so the water can be deeper.