PDA

View Full Version : alkalinity drop killed coral...?

flipteg
01/06/2007, 07:10 AM
a few months back, i became a bit lazy about tank maintenance... i didn't test anything for a month... i usually try to keep my alkalinity at about 9-10dKH... after that time when i started getting on track again, the alkalinity was fluctuating between 6-7dKH... calcium was at about 350ppm (usual is 410)... i am using a 2 part additive but that was before i had a set dosage that was able to keep up with demands... i had to test almost once every week and adjust the dosage accordingly...

one of my small acropora frag didn't make it... another bigger colony of acropora stopped openning up for a few weeks even after parameters were back to normal...

i was wondering if the drop in alkalinity was the actual culprit... or was it that because alkalinity dropped, PH was fluctuating more than normal during that time of reduced alkalinity...? if it's not the PH swings, how exactly does low or high alkalinity kill corals...?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/06/2007, 07:16 AM
Low alkalinity (below 7 dKH) and low pH (below 8.2) together are a double whammy to hard corals and coralline algae, making it hard to deposit skeletons (even allowing them to dissolve), so i expect that was a possible cause.