PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock

grouper25
01/06/2007, 09:06 AM
I have about 140 lbs of very nice live aquacultured Florida rock with lots of growth I just received two days ago sitting a tub with 45 gallons of satwater, light and flow. I need to do a water change quickly but am using my R/O system to fill my 220 which is 3/4 full.

The question is can I use regular tap water to do the water change instead of sacrificing another 45 gallons of r/o water which I want to continue putting in my tank???? Would this hurt the live rock???

I would plan to place the live rock in the big tank in two days.
Thanks mates,
G25

sir_dudeguy
01/06/2007, 09:28 AM
imo, for just rock i do not see why you could not just use tap water. Make sure you treat it and whatnot tho. But one waterchange with tap water is not gonna kill anything.

fsn77
01/06/2007, 09:34 AM
I wouldn't use tap... unless you know it's good quality tap. There's a lot of unknowns with tap water until you have it professionally tested, and even then the quality can vary depending on the source.

Basically, why risk it when you just bought this really nice rock with lots of growth on it?

BillyJoeJimBob
01/06/2007, 09:49 AM
A good alternative to tap water is Distilled Water. It's like 75 cents a gallon and I have used it in a jam. I would say it is the next best thing to use besides RO water. Go grab some instead of using tap water. I thinktap water is terrible personally and I would never use it in my tank. Too many chemicals...