PDA

View Full Version : Switching tanks

awestruck
01/06/2007, 03:58 PM
My 29g. has a small crack so I am putting everything into a new 29g. I am going to use all of the live rock (30 lbs.), 1/3 of the old sand and 40 lbs. of new sand, and 2/3 of the old water. Is this tank going to cycle, and if so, what's your estimate on how long the cycle will last? TIA.

drummereef
01/06/2007, 04:03 PM
Most likely it won't cycle since you are using fully cured live rock and the water from your old tank. I don't know if I'd use that much of the old sand though. Maybe just add a 1/2 layer of it to the new sand and it will be good. Try not to dig up the old sandbed too much and you won't disturb anything. Just use enough to seed the new substrate.

awestruck
01/06/2007, 05:30 PM
Thanx for your help--please keep your fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that everything goes well!! Peace.

DarG
01/06/2007, 05:37 PM
I'm in the same boat. Swapping a 90 into another 90.
I was planning on using maybe 15 or 20 lbs or so of the old substrate. I mever went through a cycle when I first set up the tank nearly 10 years ago because of the live rock. I'm not too concerned about it now either, especially with seeding the new substrate with some of the old in addition to the LR.