PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE READ! seriously i need an honest opinon, not a biased etc. sry for being rude!

dan10342
01/06/2007, 06:22 PM
ok here's the deal. im going to list all of my tank inhabitants, water params. lighting, filtration etc. this topic, before i go into the details, is about clams.

ok the water params.
sg. 1.025
ammonia/nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: .02 ppm (about)
ph. 8.3 (is that too low?)
temp. 78-80 (fluctuates between winter and summer)
uh u need any others.. i just posted basic params... ?

lighting:
3 x 110 watt vho
110 x actinic blue
220 x 50/50 (12000k??)
(made by uri)

filtration
coralife super skimmer
going to put a canaster filter hooked up to sump tank (for carbon)

spong **** in overflow box... i dont think that counts though!

current tank inhabitants

1 yellow tang
1 royal gramma
1 coral banded shrimp
blue leged hermits
2 turbo snails
many stomatella snails
various pods
feather dusters (must be thousands)
sponges (idk species)

xenia coral (grows like mad)
gsp (grows like xenia)
mushrooms

cabbage coral
kenya trees (grows crazy)

torch coral

zoanthids (got attacked by aipasia... then i killed aiptasia w/ joes juice... or seemed to have killed them. do butterfly (copperband ) or peppermint shrimp pick at clams?

1 deresa clam on bottom of tank (in sand... attached to the bottom glass) the clam has evident growth, white as opposed to older coralline covered shell) has proly more than doubled in size (3 to 6 inches in about 7 months)

the question is can i put in a more colorful clam ( t. maxima or t. squamosa) in if i have them high in the rockwork? (a total of 7 inches from vho lights)

i right now, do not want to do any more plumbing, so i do not want a chiller. and my parents electrical bill is already hurting as it is. so i cannot go metal halide. i was thinking t-5s but that would mean all the money spent on vho endcaps and bulbs went to waste. (not cheap when there are 3 bulbs)

so could i possibly keep a maxima (blue or goldish) or a very intensly colored "squamy"??

i posted the thing about no biased ****... because of those select few indiviuals who think metal halide are the only lights out there...

alan214
01/06/2007, 07:01 PM
Honest opinion, (without knowing your tank size, which I must have missed), the other clams you are wanting to get my survive for a little while but will eventually not make it without more light. As far as "putting" them higher in the tank (closer to the light), there's NO guaranteee they'll stay there. I love clams, too and hate to be the one to give you a negative opinion.

Nimmie
01/06/2007, 07:04 PM
I would have to say no too. I agree with Alan.. they may seem to do ok at first but will very likely will not do well long term. Clams like to "dive" and find their own preferred spot on the reef, and unfortunately with your lighting it may not be a spot with enough light for them to thrive. IMO it's just too much of a risk. Also, CBBs are hit and miss with clams, I have heard people say both. I'm not sure about the peppermint shrimp though.

xcreonx
01/06/2007, 07:10 PM
I agree, I would skip the clams in this tank with that lighting. Clams need lots of bright light.

Also I don't see how you will be maintaining calcium/alkalinity in your tank. Do you have a calcium reactor or ? Calcium and Alk is VITAL for clams.

Amphiprion
01/06/2007, 07:41 PM
If they are close to the light (7 in. sounds okay) and your water parameters, including Ca and alkalinity, are up to par, then you should be able to keep some clams. I had a T. crocea for years under 440w of VHO lighting until a heater malfunction. I also had T. derasa, T. squamosa, H. hippopus.

dan10342
01/06/2007, 07:52 PM
k thaks for the input guys. (or girls) . the tank is a 55 gallon, ten gallon sump. the deresa has been alive for quite some time now. (since last february 2006). and like i said it grows. i havnt tested calc in a while.. however i do believe there is enough to suppor the life of a clam. coralline in growing like mad, and new shell growth is always visible on deresa. (i dose kalkwasser (drip)

and yes... it has been more than the magic 6th month... time period for a clam to slowly die..

i probably will stick with the deresa for a while. is there any other route i can take to keep more colorful clams? i do not have the kind of money to go out and by a 4 foot metal halide system (probably never will... i am 16 years old so money goes elsewhere too).

i would rather hear "no" from you guys, than buy a clam that will die in 5 months.

xcreonx
01/06/2007, 08:00 PM
I would say 'no' right now. Save some money and when you're ready upgrade the lights and get a Crocea or Maxima. There's no harm in patience :)

dan10342
01/06/2007, 08:02 PM
yea good point. maybe i can get t-5 kits from lfs... (i dont think ive paid full price for anything in a while..

all i would need is reflectors
endcaps
ballast (icecap 660 good??)
bulbs