PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn tentacles?

chrisstie
01/07/2007, 03:28 PM
Another LPS question from someone who wants to learn the reason behind everything in her tank!!!!!!

I have a branching frogspawn, not sure what makes it that different from normal frogspawn- my tentacles get really fat and puffy. Sometimes its like they will well up into tiny balls and very rarely release a tiny part of that tentacle. It looks like an itty bitty balloon sailing in the breeze (really going with the tank flow)

Is there a reason behind this? I have the frogspawn in my 12g aquapod under the stock pc lighting .. . I am thinking about fragging it to put in my 55g with T5s to see if it looks or behaves any different but then again.. don't want the two tanks to look the same lol

thanks for any help you might have!

nmprisons
01/07/2007, 04:10 PM
First, like hammers, frogspawns can be found in branching and the (rarer) wall variety.

Second, according to Bonnerman, that behavior is normal. It is generally thought to be some form of defense/aggression type of act (basically bombs sent out to attack other corals), but there is some thought that it might be a type of reproduction - but this has yet to be proven.

chrisstie
01/07/2007, 07:38 PM
Guess only time will tell :) thanks for the info!.. Its just weird how my tentcles are big and fat and not so uniform as ones I've seen. My sexy shrimp LOVES hanging out on it though :) It is so funny his itty bitty tiny leg makes the smallest impression on the tentacle and you can see it slightly caved in when he stands on it

drummereef
01/08/2007, 12:39 AM
Hey Chrisstie, post a pic of it if you get a chance! I just picked a froggie up today. :)

chrisstie
01/08/2007, 09:12 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/116/302884855_427a2243eb_o.jpg

It is so hard to get a good shot of this cause the tank it is in has a bowfront. When its 100% inflated it kind of reminds me of like, a giant green afro or something with little dots all over hehe

zoomfish1
01/08/2007, 02:54 PM
Looks plenty healthy to me. But while on the tenticle subject, one of my froggies extends the tenticles on the bottom out to maybe 3". There is a cabbage leather within a few inches of it. Do you think this is some kind of defense mechanism. Do any of you think I should move this coral farther away from the leather?

pink_floyd
01/08/2007, 03:52 PM
that is a cool shot of the sexy shrimp!!

pixburg-reefer
01/08/2007, 04:10 PM
aww cute shrimp :)

zoomfish- soft corals can produce a toxin that affect LPS. Sometimes there aren't any problems, other times they may cause tissue recession. If your Euphyllia is still expanding like normal then there may not be any problem, but i would be weary of having the leather so close... even if it isn't anything chemically, there is always the possibility that your frog. could sting it and cause damage/start something chemically

Kelly

drummereef
01/08/2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks Crisstie! Looks nice.

Ti
01/09/2007, 11:42 AM
nice shrimp