PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to buy fish from multiple stores?

FLReefGirl
01/07/2007, 05:01 PM
Hi everyone. I am a newbie (5 weeks) and I want to say this site has been very helpful. Thanks!

Anyway... I was wondering if it's ok to buy fish, coral, etc. from multiple stores?
I can only seem to find 2 LFS in my area (besides PetCo.). The one I have been working with is wonderful and very informative but the inventory goes fast. The other store is larger, has more inventory, but is less personal. I don't know if I'd get the help I would need as a newbie there. I like the personalized attention from the one place. I have bought 51 lbs of LR, 7 fish, & hermit crabs from the store I like and so far I have had great success. I'm afraid if I mix animals and water from a new store I will be asking for trouble. Please advise.
Thanks.

zoomfish1
01/07/2007, 05:08 PM
Dosen't matter where you buy fish. But when you add them to the tank DO NOT include any of the store's waer to your tank water, After you acclimate the fish, throw the acclimation water away.

nyvp
01/07/2007, 05:09 PM
yes you can buy from as many stores as you would like. You can also learn from here on RC and then go buy from whomever you'd like.

salty3
01/07/2007, 05:10 PM
When you add fish dont let the water mix into your tank, always throw it out. I buy from severale stores but try to do most of my buisness with one store in preticulare just because they help me more and very friendly.

Melody
01/07/2007, 05:25 PM
NO, please don't mix lfs water to your own tank.:eek2:

Not a problem buying from multiple stores. Just be sure to quarantine fish, rock and coral before adding to display.

And "Welcome to RC"!!!!!!!

:)

Sk8r
01/07/2007, 05:33 PM
On the other hand, this week is a real good reason to patronize one particular store, if they understand loyalty---we lost power, and my store gave me a place to plug in and recharge my power backup. So goes-around, comes-around. If you pick the right store, preferably an independent, they'll order what you want, to the best of their ability, they'll sometimes hold things for you, if they trust your word to actually buy it, and they'll do you favors---like hold stock for you if you have to move.

JusJim
01/07/2007, 05:34 PM
Just a suggestion...if you really like the first store but they have a limited supply of livestock, just ask them to order you whatever you want.

My LFS never seems to have much of a selection, but he orders every week or two. Most of what I have is stuff I have him order for me. If I order something, but then decide I don't want it when it comes in, it's no big deal with him.

FLReefGirl
01/07/2007, 06:03 PM
Why not add the water?

Ti
01/07/2007, 06:07 PM
Cause their water could b bad.

Paintbug
01/07/2007, 06:16 PM
alot of stores will treat their fish displays with copper. you dont want copper in your system, it is very deadly for inverts. thats just one of many reasons :D.

FLReefGirl
01/07/2007, 07:53 PM
ok. thanks for the warning and the advice.

ChunksInClemson
01/07/2007, 08:37 PM
You can get price cuts too if you stick with one main store.

cowboyswife
01/08/2007, 07:46 AM
The best store Ive found in the central FL area is The Fish Bowl in Longwood. They are extremely helpful there, and that is where I buy EVERYTHING I need for my tank.

AllenFord_SC
01/08/2007, 07:54 AM
Buying from multiple stores is fine. Be sure to inspect the fish for any signs of disease and ask to see them eat before purchasing. You should setup a QT tank and keep new fish in there for six weeks to monitor them for ich and general behavior. Remember, if you add another fish to the QT tank while one is already in there, the first fish will need to start the 6 weeks over again. So plan ahead and either add 2 fish to QT at the same time or just space your purchases out which is the better thing to do. The most important thing about this hobby is patience.

AllenFord_SC
01/08/2007, 07:58 AM
Just in case: QT stands for Quarantine. Hope this helps!

Bono
01/08/2007, 09:58 AM
I would also take the LFS's ideas and recommendations for equipment and livestock and run them by everyone at Reefcentral. While LFS information might seem wise alot of times it only benefits them and not you.

FLReefGirl
01/08/2007, 02:47 PM
Cowboyswife - The Fish Bowl is where I have been going and I really like them a lot. I think I'd feel like I was being ungreatful for their help if I go somewhere else. I got my initial set up and equipment from Petco but while looking for my lights I found The Fish Bowl and have been going there weekly for almost 6 weeks for water tests, fish, & info.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Most if not all the advise the LFS has given me about my tank in gerneral is consistant with what everyone here at RC is saying. I hadn't gotten around to asking about fish quanity yet. They are getting a new shipment in today and I was planning to make a trip. They said they would hold and QT the fish for me until it's ready to go home.

FLReefGirl
01/08/2007, 02:49 PM
What should I put in a QT tank? Just the saltwater & air pump or should it be a mini replica of a regular tank except w/out fish?

cowboyswife
01/08/2007, 03:36 PM
Thats cool, Im glad thats where you go. My husband, daughter, and I walked around Fishy Business 2 days ago. They had a good selection, but in the 20 minutes we were there, none of the employees said a word to us. Thats when we decided we werent going to go back there. One of the employees at The Fish Bowl lives around the corner from me, and like once a week he comes and checks out our tank to make sure everything is looking good. The advice they give is usually right on target with what everyone says on here, so I really trust them. We are heading over there this weekend to get a pair of clowns :rollface:

cowboyswife
01/08/2007, 03:44 PM
And for a QT, all you need is the water, a biowheel filter, lights, and a a few 5 inch long pieces of 2 inch PVC pipe for your fish to hide in. Im still new too, so here is what I was told....

The Biowheel filter should run in your main tank for at least a week to seed the filter with bacteria. And use the water from the MT in my QT, when you do a water change in the MT the water is cycled to the QT this way the parameters are similar and helps acclimate the fish to their one day new home.

FLReefGirl
01/08/2007, 04:50 PM
Cowboyswife - I was at Fishy Business 2 days ago too. How funny is that. I didn't buy though. That's what prompted me to start this thread. O wasn't sure if I could or should. They were so busy, it was crazy in there. Big selection, lots of nice fish, but I also thought there were lots of not so good looking fish. The owner was yelling loudly and making a scene while I was there because he found an expensive, beautiful, and dead fish in the tank.

So for QT I should use water from my main tank. Instead of pouring the water down the drain when I do a water change I should use it to start a QT tank?

Sk8r
01/08/2007, 05:07 PM
You can use old water for qt. It's the one exception to where you can use a sponge, because if you see ich and have to treat, you can't be having live rock and sand in there: treatment would kill it.

Best way to transfer non-spiny/venomous fish is with your bare hand, from bag to qt, from qt to tank. Another way is to use a plastic utensil and dip it up in that for transfer. Even a small colander [kitchen drainer]. Net mesh can catch gill-cover spines and fin spines and cause injury. I've used an intermediate dip at times, just a vat of plain tank water in which I can just give the fish a quick bath before putting it into my display. Be careful to match the parameters, often called params: salinity, temperature, alkalinity, ph are the big ones. Many fish stores keep fish at lower salinity than our home tanks because low salinity inhibits ich, but corals don't like it. So if you get home and just dump a fish straight in, he can take kidney damage from the salinity change: you start by dripping water from your tank into his bag, and when you measure same params, you lift him out with your hand and put him into your qt. You watch him there for several weeks, and if he shows no white saltlike rash [ich] or film [velvet] he'll be good to go into your tank. If you do get a disease outbreak in your quarantine tank [qt] you just treat with whatever medication is appropriate for that ailment for the prescribed course of treatment, clean up the qt, watch your fish a few more days, then transfer your now-cured fish to the display. Repeat with every fish. Also when you get corals, you'll want to take precautions in regard to red bug and hitchhikers [pests ride in on the food they eat, namely your pretty corals]. We can walk you through it, if it's your desire to have them. Welcome.

FLReefGirl
01/08/2007, 05:58 PM
Will I have to QT corals, anemones, snails, & inverts too? I would like to add these to my tank.