PDA

View Full Version : Possible Cerith Snail Babies?

JusJim
01/07/2007, 05:14 PM
In the last few days I've noticed a few tiny spots on my glass. When looking at them thru a magnifying glass, they're shaped just like a Cerith snail and look like almost an opaque white shell. I'm assuming they're just colorless right now as a baby?

They're too small to even think about getting a photo.

I did have some cerith snails at one time but I'm not sure there are any living now.

I've also got a bunch of Collonista amakusaensis snails but these are not shaped the same.

These may be some sort of small hitchhiker instead of a cerith...just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

bertoni
01/07/2007, 05:23 PM
I suspect they are hitchhikers. I haven't heard that cerith snails can breed successfully in our tanks.

JusJim
01/07/2007, 05:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8920793#post8920793 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
I suspect they are hitchhikers. I haven't heard that cerith snails can breed successfully in our tanks.

Any idea or guesses on what they may be? It's been 9 months since I started the tank and added the Live Rock and Live Sand.

We're just now starting to see some things though after this long of a time.

bertoni
01/07/2007, 05:47 PM
Snails are hard to identify. A closeup might help, but I don't stand much of a chance of getting to species level.

Paintbug
01/07/2007, 05:53 PM
i would suspect they are Rissoid or Pyramidellid Snails. heres a little article on both, and how to tell them apart.
http://www.reefland.com/rho/2006/05/identify_rissoid_pyramidellid_snails.php