PDA

View Full Version : RIP purple Tang, RIP

Mr Bojangles
01/07/2007, 06:50 PM
well my large blue Haddoni just ate my purple tang that was about 2 years old :( I am sad and my wife and I miss him so much now we need to know what else we can keep. The Haddoni is about 18-20 inches across right now.

RIP Purple tang

OrionN
01/07/2007, 06:56 PM
I am sorry to hear this. It is a risk with Haddoni in a reef tank.

Mr Bojangles
01/07/2007, 07:23 PM
yeah it is, but after a year it should be fine.......... I though

Random Aquarist
01/07/2007, 07:34 PM
I really am sorry for your loss. I really am. Does anyone have footage of an anemone eating a large, living fish (such as a tang)? I think it'd be interesting to watch.

Mr Bojangles
01/07/2007, 07:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8921829#post8921829 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Random Aquarist
I really am sorry for your loss. I really am. Does anyone have footage of an anemone eating a large, living fish (such as a tang)? I think it'd be interesting to watch.

here is a vid that I made of mine eating a whole silverside (you can also see my tang :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtgynZHl0ao

Random Aquarist
01/07/2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah, but I want to see a living fish. I want to see how it reacts when it first touches the tentacles. I want to see how an anemone really eats in the wild.

55semireef
01/07/2007, 08:20 PM
When I had my blue Haddoni, it only ate my fish at night time. Never saw it once catch any of my fish during the day.

Mr Bojangles
01/07/2007, 08:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8922265#post8922265 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
When I had my blue Haddoni, it only ate my fish at night time. Never saw it once catch any of my fish during the day.

same here, this is the second time, he ate a copper-band butterfly before, but I figured he wouldn't make it.

I have seen large carpets before in LFT eat large feeder fish and its a sight to see, they do struggle quite a bit but I even have a hard time getting my hand unstuck from my Haddoni

apayne
01/08/2007, 11:08 AM
I even have a hard time getting my hand unstuck from my Haddoni
Same goes here, my Haddoni is SOOOO sticky.

keefsama2003
01/08/2007, 04:35 PM
haddoni are fish eaters no matter how you look at it thats what they do i had a green haddoni that ate a 8" hippo tang ate 2 yellow tangs ate a marine betta ate about 7 damsels and ate 3 anthias before i sold my tank all added at different times figured i would try different fish and no luck

as stated before its a risk everyone who owns haddoni take.

good luck with it as yours is huge like mine was

Hattie B
01/08/2007, 05:12 PM
Wow, when you added that silverside it looked like a little morsel in on your carpet.

Did you see him eating it? Like the tail end or was your fish just gone?

sorry for your fish loss.

55semireef
01/08/2007, 05:22 PM
I am picking up a Green Haddoni thats about 1.5 feet across. I am taking a risk.

Mr Bojangles
01/08/2007, 05:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8929715#post8929715 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
I am picking up a Green Haddoni thats about 1.5 feet across. I am taking a risk.

yes you are! But I did the same and that's why I have a tank just for anemones and another for corals and one more for aggressive fish.

Oh I knew it was gone because in the morning I was the anemone spitting out bones.

45commando
01/08/2007, 06:25 PM
I have a large green & a blue carpet.I've lost fish to both of them.Since installing moonlights(knocking on wood)I have not lost a fish,so it may be worth a try if you plan on trying another tang.
As for seeing my carpet actually eat a fish,I did happen to walk in a find my 7" engineer gobie being devoured.I had fed the carpet a few minutes before & I guess he could taste the food-went to check it out & got nabbed.I tried everything I could to rescue him,the poor creature was alive & squirming for about a good 10 minutes.Every time he would move,the anemone would just constrict & envelope him more.Safe to say,it was not fun to watch.
Anyhow if you get the moonlights,I hope youhave good luck with future fish.Regards,Darcy

Mr Bojangles
01/08/2007, 07:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8930255#post8930255 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 45commando
I have a large green & a blue carpet.I've lost fish to both of them.Since installing moonlights(knocking on wood)I have not lost a fish,so it may be worth a try if you plan on trying another tang.
As for seeing my carpet actually eat a fish,I did happen to walk in a find my 7" engineer gobie being devoured.I had fed the carpet a few minutes before & I guess he could taste the food-went to check it out & got nabbed.I tried everything I could to rescue him,the poor creature was alive & squirming for about a good 10 minutes.Every time he would move,the anemone would just constrict & envelope him more.Safe to say,it was not fun to watch.
Anyhow if you get the moonlights,I hope youhave good luck with future fish.Regards,Darcy

well the sad news is that I do have moon lights, but I had a dumb tang. He would taunt the anemone at all time just hovering over its mouth sometimes even picking at it, I guess at night he just got too close. Lessons learned, at lest I didn't pay full LFS price of $100+ on the tang, then I would be very upset

IronNipples
01/08/2007, 10:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8929297#post8929297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keefsama2003
haddoni are fish eaters no matter how you look at it thats what they do i had a green haddoni that ate a 8" hippo tang ate 2 yellow tangs ate a marine betta ate about 7 damsels and ate 3 anthias before i sold my tank all added at different times figured i would try different fish and no luck

as stated before its a risk everyone who owns haddoni take.

good luck with it as yours is huge like mine was

I have a couple of damsels that could use some "Haddoni lovin" :lmao:

Doni
01/09/2007, 08:55 AM
Sorry to hear that MrBojangles :( I have lost a few fish to mine also; but no losses since I added a moon light!

BTW.. nice meeting you at Frank/Lynn's house :)

Mr Bojangles
01/09/2007, 03:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8934529#post8934529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Doni
Sorry to hear that MrBojangles :( I have lost a few fish to mine also; but no losses since I added a moon light!

BTW.. nice meeting you at Frank/Lynn's house :)

Oh HI! yes it was nice to meet you to, sorry I couldn't hang out longer. Maybe next time