PDA

View Full Version : Plexi Glass Cover

dannable
01/08/2007, 09:22 AM
I called a local glass shop about getting a plexi glass cover cut for my aquarium. He mentioned that plexi glass is petrolium based. Does that mean it could contaminate the aquarium??

newrossman
01/08/2007, 09:34 AM
Hi,

Safe here's a full desciption http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plexiglass

Just make sure it's clean!

MR PALM BEACH
01/08/2007, 09:36 AM
I used to use a glass cover for my 29 but it became a quick pain in the a$$. Between the nasty salt creep and having to take it off constantly to do maintance, feeding, etc. Not to mention trapping extra heat. Just somthing to think about IMO.

Henry Bowman
01/08/2007, 11:52 AM
Why do you want to cover it? If you have "jumpers" (fish that like to jump out), you'd probably be bette off with eggcrate (white light fixture covers with small squares in it) ..... Holding in the heat and eliminating evap will cause the tanks temp to rise. Maybe not right now in Canada but ... later it will.

Other'n that Plexiglass (a brand name for acrylic sheet) should be fine so long you dont have Mh lights too close...

Keep in mind, ANY barrier you put between your tank and light will reduce the light getting to your tank.

drummereef
01/08/2007, 12:12 PM
I'd stay away from the covers on you tank. You need the gas exchange to keep your pH up. Otherwise you will quickly get Co2 buildup and the pH will suffer. The eggcrate works if you have jumpers.

kipher
01/08/2007, 12:44 PM
I second what Drummereef says...you need the gas exchange.

j_v_z
01/08/2007, 01:02 PM
i was told that I dont need a cover on my aquarium by people here, is this un true? i was worreid about this as well because i know these lights are going to get verry hot and just a splash of water would shatter the bulbs. but i was assuered this would not be an issue by many, is this not the case?

dannable
01/08/2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks everyone. I am going to go with the egg crate.