PDA

View Full Version : Shark eggs

bignick
01/08/2007, 09:45 AM
Hi,

I just got two bamboo shark eggs that are still in their early stages and will more than likely not Hatch till Around March or April. My question is that i've never hatched a shark from an egg before and i was wondering if you guys know anything about them that i may need to know to keep them healthy and happy? I was told that raising the tempature can speed up the hatching time Are there any other things that could do this?

Thanks,

Nick

Bhewko
01/08/2007, 10:45 AM
[violation]

JRaquatics
01/08/2007, 10:49 AM
Keep your perimeters up and give them time, and have live ghost shrimp on hand for when they hatch. Once they start taking them by hand or feeding stick then replace with krill, silversides and squid. Also make sure you have something covering the top of the tank.

bignick
01/08/2007, 12:29 PM
What SRC? Oh wait nevermind duh!!

Thanks JRaquatics for the info i think when they are getting close to hatching then i will place them in QT so i can at least feed them and not worrying about my other fish eating their food.

EdKruzel
01/08/2007, 01:59 PM
I have successfully hatched several hundred eggs. I made eggcrate (no pun) boxes that were able to hang from the top of the tank.
They require a good back and forth wave of current which will replicate the motion from their natural environment.
On eggs that began to grow algae upon them, I brushed them off occasionally with a tooth brush; this enabled me to observe the growth and slight movement through the nearly transparent sides

Being able to observe the shark will also let you know when they are ready to hatch.
The feeding ball attached to the abdomen will be shrunken to not much larger than the attached tube when the moment has arrived.
In the wild the waves beating the eggs back and forth over whatever area they are attached will help to make the casing brittle; in an aquarium, the eggs will often remain leathery and too tough for the baby shark to emerge.
This is where you carefully help mother nature; the top of the egg is curled and partially opened to exchange water/oxygen, with a strong pair of scissors or garden shears, cut the curled lip off and open the casing like opening an envelope allowing the baby shark to swim to the bottom of the tank.
For their first meal, I found bite sized chunks of fresh clams or oysters is best.

I kept them in holding tanks for the first few days so there wouldn't be any competitors for food.
Many will take Selcon directly from an eyedropper.

Soft sand or a BB is best for their new and delicate abdomens.

bignick
01/09/2007, 07:37 AM
Ed, thank you very much for the info that was a great help!

Thanks again,

Nick

cougarguy
01/09/2007, 08:37 PM
I agree with Ed in trying to feed them clam or in my case I fed finely chopped scallops and squid this way you know how much they are eating, mine was fed with a pair of tongs and ate immediatly after hatching.

Puffer Queen
01/10/2007, 01:51 PM
Mine take PE mysis initially then chopped up squid and shrimp.

bignick
01/15/2007, 09:17 AM
Well i was checking my eggs yesterday and it looks like i lost one of them. It wasn't moving or breathing so i am assuming its dead. I was pretty bummed out about the death but life goes on. I guess i'll have to get another one.

Any idea as to what could of caused the shark to die?

bignick
01/16/2007, 07:59 AM
Boy am i glad i didn't throw out that egg! It turns out it was just sleeping i saw it moving last night so i guess i'm still in business! I'm so glad it didn't die.

roadracer
01/16/2007, 10:19 AM
How big do the sharks get whan matured?

bignick
01/16/2007, 02:15 PM
3-4ft from what i've read. closer 4' though. By then i will have to buy a bigger tank or build a pond.

TracyZeuner
01/22/2007, 08:29 PM
I hatched one about a year ago. He was great! We fed him by hand with squid and silversides. He started in a 60gal and then I moved him to my 180. I just took him back to my LFS so he could find him a bigger home. He was about 16-18in when I took him back.Very peaceful and a great eater.