PDA

View Full Version : 90g progress

stacerbean
01/08/2007, 10:32 AM
Okay since Stacey hasn't started this thread I though I would to keep everyone updated on our 90g tank progress.

We started this venture buying a drilled 90g all-glass tanks at the Foster and Smith Frag swap last year (06). I later found a stand that need a little TLC and have refinish the stand except the doors since my sander broke. I also need to find hinges for the stand as the old ones were rusted and falling apart. I also cut our the hole for the overflow in the stand top. Right now the tanks is sitting on the stand as it has been for a couple of months in our dining room. A couple of weeks ago I moved the computer desk so the tank and stand are against the wall it will be set up on.

We have the sand, skimmer, ballast for atinacs, and all the pumps. For Christmas Santa gave us a Reefkeeper 2 which we were very excite over (Thanks Santa Jim). We still need to get the heaters, overflow kit and ballast for the MH lights (were are thing of moving up to 250w lights for the new tank. I also got a sump from one of our club members that fits our skimmer since our original skimmer didn't have enough room.

We are now talking about building cabinets on the side of the tank for equipment. Though I have come up with a concept useing some pre-built kitchen cabinets that might work nicely.

The biggest thing I need to get done for easy maintaince is finding a way to get the water upstairs from the basement easier as I have a bad back and bigger water changes will be in order for the 90g.

I will post pictures later after I get them uploaded. So that is all for now.

Mr. Stacerbean

stacerbean
01/08/2007, 10:49 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f371/kalelin38/Tank/IMG_0981.jpg

This is a picture of the stand and tanks after the stand was sanded, plus some of the equipment.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f371/kalelin38/Tank/IMG_1006.jpg

This is a picture of the stained stand.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f371/kalelin38/Tank/stand.jpg

This is a rough drawing of my idea for the cabinets around the tank and stand. The hood will have a hinge and the base of the cabinet so the front can be raise up for maintance. This is still in the design stages and need to see what prebuilt cabinets I can find that will work so design might change.

Mr. Stacerbean

Eel-byte
01/10/2007, 04:57 AM
Looks good Rob. Cant wiat to see it put together. You better hurry though, the frag swap is looming in our future ;)

stacerbean
01/10/2007, 07:29 AM
Better hurry, huh. We'll see how that goes. ;) (Ms. Stacerbean speaking now) Custom cabinets, plumbing from the basement. I'm sure we'll be done soon, right?

I do have one question, though. What would be the best pump to push up water from the basement for water changes? I don't think we want to permanently plumb to the basement (not yet at least). But we do want to occasionly push the water upstairs. What brand of pump do you guys recommend?

Stacey

stacerbean
01/10/2007, 08:09 AM
Stacey is worried my cabinet plans will delay the set up of the 90g which is not true. As long as I have the dimensions of the cabinets I can place the tank in the right spot and set up while using our old hood and light setup.

Mr. Stacerbean

Thefilterguys
01/11/2007, 10:06 PM
Hey bean people you earned the Reefkeeper with all the excellent service you have given on the Filter Guys website. As I said the feedback on the site is all first class Thanks to Ms Bean.

Jim

kalelin38
01/13/2007, 10:53 AM
Added another piece to the puzzle yesterday. Not that we needed it to get the tanks going, but it was a nice deal. Picked up a set of 250W Icecap ballasts that will work with both SE or DE bulbs.

kalelin38
01/19/2007, 11:52 AM
Found the style of hinges on the iternet this weekend and called around locally. Found the hinges I needed at the Galleria. So I picked them up yesterday and hung the doors. So now I just need to strip the doors and stain them to match the stand.

Stacey found the pull handles the she liked for the doors on Ebay so we purchased a couple and they are on their way.

As far and my cabinet idea, still need to do more research on what the stores have that might work.

Eel-byte
01/19/2007, 03:27 PM
Cant wait to see this up and running :)

kalelin38
01/19/2007, 03:34 PM
Hopefully it will be up before the next frag swap

stacerbean
01/19/2007, 07:23 PM
No, it will be up before the frag swap. ;)

Eel-byte
01/20/2007, 07:48 AM
Rob has his marching orders:lol:

kalelin38
01/24/2007, 09:01 AM
I don't take marching orders from bean counters! :D

P.S. Stacey's pull handles came and I installed them temporary, they look very nice

kalelin38
01/24/2007, 10:47 AM
Okay, here are a few new pictures

Shot of the doors on the stand for a change with the new hinges and handles attached.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f371/kalelin38/Tank/IMG_1206.jpg

Close up of the new handles

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f371/kalelin38/Tank/IMG_1205.jpg

Shot of the doors open with the goodies inside.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f371/kalelin38/Tank/IMG_1207.jpg

Next step is figuring out how to level the tank as our house is old and not level. :)

Eel-byte
01/25/2007, 04:47 AM
I love the handles, very cool ;)

Thefilterguys
01/25/2007, 09:00 PM
Hey bean counters have good taste!!!:D

kalelin38
01/26/2007, 11:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9075597#post9075597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thefilterguys
Hey bean counters have good taste!!!:D

Yes she does, after all she did marry me. :lol:

On second thought, maybe she only has good taste when picking out handles. :D

kalelin38
01/26/2007, 11:53 AM
Working on moving the tank and leveling today, this should be fun.

kalelin38
01/26/2007, 12:29 PM
Cool, our Icecap 250w ballast just came via UPS. Now we need to get a hold of some pendants that have the double ended fixtures in them.

Eel-byte
01/27/2007, 04:06 AM
What are your plans for the seio powerheads?

kalelin38
01/27/2007, 09:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9086723#post9086723 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Eel-byte
What are your plans for the seio powerheads?

We will have our seio set up the same as Jay has them on his tank for water circulation.

kalelin38
01/27/2007, 09:12 AM
We decided against a UV Sterilizer for the tank as Stacey has heard no real benefits to having one on the tank.

Eel-byte
01/28/2007, 02:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9087517#post9087517 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kalelin38
We will have our seio set up the same as Jay has them on his tank for water circulation.

Did Jay have his on a wave timer? I know it says in the seio instructions not to use them on a timer. Mine was so tight that it wouldnt restart after shutting it down for water changes. I had to un-screw that cap to loosen the grip on the impeller shaft to get it started. After a year or so now it starts up fine. I know seio makes a controller for their pumps, but I think only for the larger ones.

Eel-byte
01/28/2007, 02:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9087533#post9087533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kalelin38
We decided against a UV Sterilizer for the tank as Stacey has heard no real benefits to having one on the tank.

I guess I never asked. I thought it was laways a bad thing to use a uv on a reef setup?

kalelin38
01/28/2007, 08:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9094459#post9094459 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Eel-byte
Did Jay have his on a wave timer? I know it says in the seio instructions not to use them on a timer. Mine was so tight that it wouldnt restart after shutting it down for water changes. I had to un-screw that cap to loosen the grip on the impeller shaft to get it started. After a year or so now it starts up fine. I know seio makes a controller for their pumps, but I think only for the larger ones.

We just plan to run our with no controller, just straight current. I believe that is how Jay is running with too,

kalelin38
01/28/2007, 08:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9094460#post9094460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Eel-byte
I guess I never asked. I thought it was laways a bad thing to use a uv on a reef setup?

From I had read there are so many different opinions if is hard to figure out to go or not to got with one. Stacey just decided to lean towards the UV are of no value side for now from what she has read.

stacerbean
01/29/2007, 07:35 AM
Josh, your right. The Seio controller will only work with SEIO water pump models: 1100, 1500, and 2600. So straight current it is.

Eel-byte
01/30/2007, 03:06 AM
I really want to try one of the Tunze nano stream pumps (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?).

kalelin38
02/07/2007, 04:35 PM
Ouch!!!

I got the quote for my cabinets. Almost $1400 for my simple design. Guess I will be modify some prebuilts or making my own.

Got the heaters in yesterday, one my piece to the puzzle in place.

kalelin38
02/16/2007, 09:38 AM
Okay, little update on some of the progress made lately.

I painted the back of the tank.

Started plumping the sump and stand pipe which the plans keep changing for. So far I have two trips to Menards and two trips to Jays house under my belts for parts. I have to go to Menards again for one more part and hopefully the last time on this subject. Then I have to figure out the correct measurements for my stand pipe as I'm building it myself. One cool thing is I found a way to increase my flow to the sump as well as reduce the head pressure on my return.

Looking around I found some cabinets the will work for around the tank and stand and they are already finished and alot cheaper that the ones I got a quote on.

Next step I think will be get the electrical set up.

kalelin38
03/05/2007, 12:01 PM
Plumbing is in place waiting to be glued as soon as I get the bulkheads to seal the holes in the sump and put it in it's final place. Bulkheads are being shipped.

kalelin38
09/04/2007, 05:07 PM
This project has come to the end just like my marriage. Going to miss you guys.