PDA

View Full Version : High flow coral ideas

prance1520
01/08/2007, 11:05 AM
I've got a couple spots in my tank that are starting to look pretty bare lately, and I'd love to find some stuff to put in those places. The probem is, its about 4-6" away from the output of a tunze that alternates between 30%-80%. Are there any corals that can take this kind of flow and flourish? Thanks!

ycnibrc
01/08/2007, 11:15 AM
as long as the flow is not direct most stag horn will be ok since in the wild they have to deal with ocean wave and that is much stronger than your pulse tunze. Or you can put some montipora since they grow horizontal not vertical

prance1520
01/08/2007, 12:12 PM
That is one of my problems... My tunze's are positioned in the back corners of the tank, and pointing towards the diagonal corner. This provides great flow throughout most of the tank. The problem is the area right in front of the tunze. I would try a monti cap there, but as the cap grows in a spiral, it would begin to block the tunze. I'd love to put some stags there, but I'm afraid that the direct flow would be too much. I've seen some of the very thick branching corals (A. Humis, or A. Humulus? Something like that) which grows very thick branches, but could it really take that kind of constand directional flow? Here's a quick paint diagram of the setup. The tank is 48x30. Brown is rock, blue is flow direction, black are the tunzes.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/52787flowdia.JPG

SDguy
01/08/2007, 12:46 PM
Mound forming porites would probably work, but how do you plan to have a coral grow there YET not block the flow in some way?

LobsterOfJustice
01/08/2007, 01:00 PM
How about a tabling acro like hyacinthus, or an efflo? They dont grow "up", so they wont block the flow, and they prefer flow sweeping across them so nothing settles on them.

prance1520
01/08/2007, 01:52 PM
Great, thanks guys.

Blocking some flow is fine. Something branching or low-profileis what I'm looking for. It'd be nice to have some branching coral there so that the flow could flow around the branches and still reach the other side of the tank, but I don't think I'm going to find many branching corals that can take that much. But from my experience with caps, they start to spiral so fast trying to outrace itself for light that it could block the majority of flow in about a year.

A tabling acro would be perfect as they don't grow up more than a couple inches. I needed those scientific names to help my search. Thanks!

stony_corals
01/08/2007, 03:27 PM
hyacinthus, ceralis, latistella