PDA

View Full Version : cutting coral

Richard parry
01/08/2007, 12:15 PM
can any coral be cut to produce small coral fragments. Ive had great results with pulse coral. Could i do staghorns and leathers?

drummereef
01/08/2007, 12:23 PM
Leathers are fairly easy to frag. What corals specifically are you wanting to cut?

Richard parry
01/08/2007, 12:42 PM
A fairly large staghorn and a sarcophyton(sorry i dont know its common name). Would these frag ok? Thanks for answering!

Richard parry
01/08/2007, 03:21 PM
Anyone there?

Salamander
01/08/2007, 03:52 PM
Staghorn (acropora sp.) are easy to frag. Just break off a piece and superglue to some rubble or a plug. Sarcophyton (toadstool) are pretty easy too but may not attach with superglue too well. Try spearing with a toothpick, sewing it or using a rubber band around a rock. Toadstools you can cut like a pizza, donut or just lop the head off the stalk. Use a sharp razor etc and try to cut with a single swipe. Avoid sawing it with a blade which will produce a more ragged cut. The cleaner the cut the quicker it heals and grows. Poultry shears can work too but may compress the coral a bit too much.

Oh...and send me a acro frag. I just lost a bunch to RTN in a move to my new house.

Happy Fragging!!

Richard parry
01/08/2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the advice! Sorry to hear you lost some staghorn. Does cutting coral damage them in any way though. Has anyone here killed a coral by trying to frag it?

Richard parry
01/08/2007, 04:24 PM
Do frags travel well in the post?