PDA

View Full Version : Going to the keys soon!

No Worries1979
01/08/2007, 01:56 PM
I am so stoked about going to the Florida keys again!!! I went there as a kid for a certification dive, and now my wife and I are going to snorkel and dive as many reefs as we can. We should see alot of elk-horn, brain corals, and sea fans along with many tropical fish such as parrots, triggers, snapper, grouper, angels, and butterflies just to name a few. It is so amazing seeing these animals in thier own habitat! I will try to post pics later on.:D

Andrew
01/08/2007, 02:01 PM
Nice! I just got back from Florida sunday. Nice to be at the beach in December. :D

reefkoi
01/08/2007, 09:10 PM
I went snorkleing at key largo a few days ago, it was great, saw lots of stuf, I'd do a full wetsuit, its pretty cold right now, mid to upper 70's. I cant wait to go bak there, its a fun place we went to the "dry rocks " reef. some spots very shallow, like 2-3 feet

No Worries1979
01/09/2007, 09:05 AM
Did you rent a boat or do a charter?

hammerswinger
01/09/2007, 09:21 AM
I went snorkeling in cancun once. They took me on a half hour boat rifde to a marine reserve. Simply amazing you will love it.

jeffbrig
01/09/2007, 09:26 AM
http://www.morningstarcharters.com/

This is my favorite snorkel charter in Key Largo. They take a max of 6 people on a 50' sailboat for a 1/2 day trip. Costs about twice what the boats from the state park charge. The key advantage is that they stay away from the cattle boats and take you to a nice, quiet patch of reef. Last time I went out with them, only three of us on the boat were snorkeling, the others were just along for the ride. No time limits either, just swim till you get tired, then head back to the boat.

(BTW, the grecian dry rocks are a very beat up part of the reef, and where the big boats usually go. There are much better places to see.)