PDA

View Full Version : Instructions for tank sitters?

kstuart
01/08/2007, 03:26 PM
I am going on a week long vacation and am wondering what are good ideas as far as instructions and such to leave for the tank sitter? what kind of things or guidelines do others use?

tslabaugh
01/08/2007, 03:48 PM
I would make a feeding schedule, divide up the food for the days you are gone(keeps them from overfeeding), and get some water in an easy to pour container for top offs. For people who aren't around your tank alot or in the hobby, them noticing something out of the ordinary probably won't happen. I am sure some other people will chime in and give some other advice.

McCrary
01/08/2007, 04:15 PM
The trick is to leave clear instructions that are easy to follow. A week isn't too bad, I would tell him to feed every other day to reduce the possibility of anything going wrong. The fish may be a little hungry when you get back, but problems that would be taken care of quickly by you will go undiscovered until you get back. As mentioned above make sure that everything is ready to go before you leave. The food should be measured out and the water ready.

dodgersfan25
01/08/2007, 04:19 PM
leave an list of things to do during an emergency (just in case). it doesnt hurt to leave one and if something does happen, you'll be glad that you did.

when i leave, i give instructions just in case of power outage, pump failure, etc.

and yeah, very clear instructions (simple enough for a kid) are the key.

dcombs44
01/08/2007, 04:21 PM
You may invest in something like a battery powered air pump to leave handy just incase your power would be out for some reason. Depending on how much your skimmer collects, you may tune it down for the week to skim a bit dryer. Make things as self sustaining as you can before you go.

RELAD
01/08/2007, 04:25 PM
Also leave your tank in good reef hands... Make sure they know what they are doing and not just the neighbor.

davocean
01/08/2007, 05:10 PM
I prepare food portions in shot glasses and put them in the fridge.
Turn skimmer down.
Leave the RC e-mail addy along w/ my cell number.

DaveJ
01/08/2007, 05:57 PM
I travel on a weekly basis and have a pet sitter (had a cat too until i had to put him down over the summer). I started with a walk through of the basics and provided clear written instructions and check lists for each day of the week initially... give it to them like a recipe. Its also good to provide photos of all the valve and water levels etc.. I did this for the sump (fresh water filling) and then the skimmer. Happy to report that she has done a very good job and calls the moment she spots anything abnormal or looking out of sorts. She even has started to enjoy it and take pleasure from seeing things grow and function.

Cell phone and an emergency number is important too. I have a local tank service that gave me his personal number to call in case of emergency or she cant reach me. Have only had to call him once.... but thats another thread ;)