PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need "filtration"?

autofish
01/08/2007, 06:11 PM
Running a 20g nano with a HOT Magnum. Seems to work well (only been running a month) but the microbubbles are driving me nuts.

Anyway, I was thinking: Could I replace the Magnum with an AquaFuge hang on bank refugium? All the Magnum is doing is running water through a carbon cartridge, really. Not sure if it's even effective (or necessary). I'd probably want to add a powerhead or two to replace the flow, but in terms of actual filtering, I'm not sure it's necessary. Is it?

Seems to me, in a saltwater setup, the live rock, various critters and water changes take care of "filtration" and mechanical filtration isn't necessary. Am I way off base?

raddogz
01/08/2007, 06:16 PM
Nope not off base at all. Mechanical filtration can done via water changes i.e. weekly water changes.

autofish
01/15/2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the reply, raddogz. I'm going to see about a nano stream or two and get the Magnum off. I like the Magnum, it's a nice little filter, but I'd prefer no filter at all. As far as I'm concerned it's just something to collect debris that then rots and contributes to declining water quality.

When the debris (uneaten food, mostly) settles in the tank, my snails and hermits and bristle worms eat it. When the filter gets it, it's just one more thing that I have to clean. I like low-maintenance tanks.

mistermikev
01/15/2007, 02:06 PM
I was going to mention that the magnum can be purged of air... I have found that stopping and restarting the unit can handle this for the most part. I am installing the shut off valves on mine so that when I clean and reconnect i can hopefully start a siphon with water pressure and purge the unit that way.
Don't need mech filtration, but I've found nothing works as well for running carbon or other chem filtration. this way I can overfeed and avoid the maintenance of a water change. Plus the water stays crystal clear... Just a thought.