PDA

View Full Version : firefish

kkyyllee
01/08/2007, 09:59 PM
ive been told they have a habit of jumping out of tanks but i would like to have one
is this true ?
and would i be ok to keep one if my tnak is cdovered good

i have 12 AQ
thanks

post some pics of your setups if you like

i want to get an idea of how mine should go for firefish

sir_dudeguy
01/08/2007, 10:15 PM
ANY fish can jump. Not just fish that have "habits of jumping." So imo you need to watch that with all other fish anyways, not just assume that only fish like these ones will jump :)

If you have a 12 aqua-pod, i see no reason to worry about this...they have a hood on there. And for the record, i've had a firefish in my 29 and it was open top but it didnt jump. Yes, thats only one case, many others will post the same, many others will say never have this fish w/out covers. I personally hate covers and will never use one again but i still got this fish and it was perfectly fine.

But like i said...theres no way it could jump out of a AP anyways....

Also you said that you wanted to get an idea on how a tank should look for a firefish. I just did a quick search and the regular firefish come from the indo-pacific. So i then did a google image search for "indo-pacific" and here are a few pics of what this area looks like (according to google! :) )

this is a test one to see if it will work...i think its just gonna be a link but here goes :)
http://www.totacc.com/user/wmiller/Ipcshallows3.htm

sir_dudeguy
01/08/2007, 10:20 PM
dang, it did it again...its not letting me post links???

dont you just type [ u r l] link url here [ / u r l ] ??? Only i know you dont put spaces but i just did that so it wont recognize that as a link...

kkyyllee
01/08/2007, 10:20 PM
alright thanks for advise i knew couldnt jump out with top down but for water changes or somethin i was a little worried that if i got one it would jump out, ill see what the majority say

well the pic didnt work so i think im gonna go google it :)

sir_dudeguy
01/08/2007, 10:24 PM
nah it wont jump out during a water change. Even if it does...you're right there anyways. It would be fine if it just jumped out and you threw him back in as quick as you can. You'd be surprised how long fish can stay out of water. When i did freshwater (yes, i know...not saltwater and different) i had a marbled hatchet jump out and was out of water for about 20 minutes before my mom got it back in (i was out of town)

And i'm gonna get that stupid link to work!

kkyyllee
01/08/2007, 10:35 PM
i had a flying fox jumpout twice and the first time he landed in a pile of close and it took me a a few minutes to find hime

he was fine except for a few scales

Illuminati
01/08/2007, 11:07 PM
A firefish would do very well in your system. Once in a while you would hear mine hit the top of the hood on my nanocube but I had a mean clown that bugged him.

What other fish do you have or would this be the first?

Here's mine (before the clown killed him):

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/colinadam/Firefish.jpg

MrMexReefer
01/09/2007, 12:58 AM
now, how come i didnt get any of those sweet zoas!? haha :D

hammerswinger
01/09/2007, 09:07 AM
I had one that never jumped for 4 years then one day boom he was dried up on the floor. Must have been a bad way to go!

DaBenzsta08
01/09/2007, 09:46 AM
My firefish stays mostly at the bottom of my tank has a little home under a larde rock and usually chill on the bottom half of my tank. I have an uncovered 30g no signs of wanting to jump or going towards the surface. you should be fine , its a very nice fish!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/DaBenzsta08/IMG_0498.jpg

kkyyllee
01/09/2007, 05:39 PM
colinadam

Here's mine (before the clown killed him):

what type of clown do you have

and thanks for the pics and advice guys

Illuminati
01/09/2007, 06:41 PM
A Clarki Clown (which I got rid off)

Just got firefish version 2.0 today:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/colinadam/tank0108070082.jpg

A little skinny but otherwise looking good.

kkyyllee
01/09/2007, 10:08 PM
cool i think i might get one this weekend either that or perc. clown

sir_dudeguy
01/09/2007, 10:34 PM
ya i had mine with a false perc pair in my 29 and they just ignored each other 100% lol. They would just do whatever they pleased and didnt pay attention to the other. But then it died for no reason (apparently...obviously there was a reason but idk what it was). It never jumped, never got picked on, perfect water, looked great, ate great...then just dead. No wounds or anything ha.

Anywho...just thought i'd throw in that it went great with my clowns if thats what you're planning on for future stock.

kkyyllee
01/09/2007, 10:38 PM
i dont know if i was gonna have both of em but thats good to know they wont usually kill eachother :)

im gonna get some zoas or polyps for my tank this weekend to hopfully

sir_dudeguy
01/09/2007, 11:55 PM
thats good to know they wont usually kill eachother

and if they did kill one of each other...the clown would be the one doing the damage :) A firefish wont do anything really. They just ignore other fish. Percs and Ocellaris clowns are the nicer clowns. Most of the rest are pretty mean (specailly maroons), but there are a few i'm sure that are ok. They're all related to damselfish...which is where they get the aggression from :)

kkyyllee
01/10/2007, 12:13 AM
yeah i think i might get a purple firefish and a clown a little later or other way around doesnt matter :]

sir_dudeguy
01/10/2007, 08:40 AM
I'd add the firefish first. You usually wanna add the smaller more peaceful fish in first. Just to give them more of a chance to become familiar w/the tank. Not the the perc would really do anything imo, but in a 12 gallon, theres not a whole lotta space.

just dont get the helfrichi firefish lol. Unless you're a millionare that is, because they're 250 bucks. Not exactly what i'd call a "beginners" fish. Sure it may be easy (but on that i have no clue) but wouldnt it just suck if it died like...2 weeks later? :)

kkyyllee
01/10/2007, 09:12 AM
damn 250? thats an expensive little fish!

kaserpick
01/10/2007, 10:11 AM
Yeah definitely introduce the firefish first if you do both fish. Clowns can get territorial like damsels as mentioned above. Have a good one!