PDA

View Full Version : Xenia, Toadstool fragging in main tank

candlebizlover
01/08/2007, 10:37 PM
The two little stalks of Xenia are now a forest in my 30 gallon. There 5 big stalks that I want to cut out & more on the other side of the tank. The problem is that my bta is attached to the rock and I don't want to take it out of the tank. The BTA was dying when I got it & it's taken months to get it on the road to health. (photo is really bad, the tentacles are turning a beautiful orange/tan.) I don't want to do anything in the tank that would disturb the BTA! The xenia will be too out of control if I don't do something, block the light, and I don't want the BTA to move.

Can I simply use a sharp knive or blade and cut the xenia out as close to the rock as possible? Will doing affect my H20 quality?

I also have a toadstool that is 4 times bigger. Can I just cut off pieces? In my main tank?

Green button polyps are floursihing as well, is there anthing I need to know about controlling these too?

http://www.candlescentgourmet.com/xenia.JPG

ps: tang goes to a 100gc when it outgrows my tank. the yellow figi is curled up because I fed just before taking the picture :)

Mariner
01/08/2007, 10:46 PM
I just cut Xenia in the display with scissors. You can use a razor blade to try to cut as close to the rock as possible, but if you leave any Xenia tissue, the Xenia will usually grow back... but it'll take awhile:)
None of my 30+ coral species seem to mind when I frag Xenia in the tank, except for the rest of the Xenia. It's like they can sense that they're under attack, and they'll all withdraw for awhile.

Toadstools are more problematic. They are easily sliced, but they release some pretty serious toxins. I would try to remove the rock the toadstool is on and frag it outside the tank. If you put frags back in the tank, run some extra carbon to help clear the toxins.
HTH,
Mariner

candlebizlover
01/09/2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the help Mariner. I was hoping the xenia didn't put out bad toxins. I'll try the scissors route since my goal is to not disturb or move the LR. When it grows back, I'll just cut it down. The toadstool can come out of the tank.

Now, I just have to find the courage to do this! First time is always the hardest :D