PDA

View Full Version : moving reef tank!!!!!!!

MAKAVELI 77
01/09/2007, 01:37 AM
ok, first my tank been set up for about 1.5 years. It is a 55 gal reef with lots of softies, hammers, pagodas,shrooms, 5 fish. with about 75 pounds of lr, 3 inch sand bed. cpr fuge h.o.b,skimmer ect...

I was wondering will it hurt the tank if i move it to another, say a 12-34gal nano cube(jbj) with the built in filters ,,,powerheads etc...
i know my tang is to big, and i have to much rock... i just need a extra hand on the correct way to transfer a stable reef tank to a smaller tank, if any body can take the time and list the correct way , i will be very happy thanks

Tang Salad
01/09/2007, 05:57 AM
First of all, my condolences. It's a sad day when you need to downsize. :mad:

You're almost playing Russian roulette with this one, if I read you correctly. Don't try and cram too much into the nano. You could make it easy if you kept the 55g running as you (slowly) start up the nano. If you add stuff to the nano over the course of 6-8 weeks, then you'll still have your big tank as a homebase if the nano wigs.

If it needs to be done immediately, then be careful to avoid any nutrient cycle in the nano, especially if you load it with too much from the 55g. There will be some die-off.

Good luck. :)