PDA

View Full Version : FW dipping LR + Q's regarding

neelio
01/09/2007, 03:28 AM
i am ready to transfer all my LR into a larger tank and want to take care of a flatworm issue at the same time. Will a FW dip take care of my flatworms while still leaving all the bristleworms, brittlestars and bacteria that i want to keep? And if so, how long do i keep the rock dipped for? So many forums to put this question into, i hope this one works.

Tang Salad
01/09/2007, 05:49 AM
I don't think a FW dip will be as selective a killer as you hope. It will kill much more than just the flatworms.

How bad is the flatworm infestation? You may need to consider Flatworm Exit instead. But read up on it and wait for other opinions before you use this. :)

serpentman
01/09/2007, 06:38 AM
I have used the Flatworm Exit without issue. I will say that sometimes, multiple treatments are necessary. If you FW dip your rock, you probably kill most of the beneficial fauna.

Using Flatworm Exit, it is crucial to follow the instructions as flatworms excrete very potent toxins when they die. In your case, since you are dismantling everything for the move, I would siphon out as many as you can and then treat your rock and more delicate animals separately. Everything must be treated as 1 worm can end up as millions as they can reproduce asexually.