PDA

View Full Version : Will a re-aquascape cause to much stress?

Dirt4dinner
01/09/2007, 11:04 AM
This might be a long intro to my problem....

I have had Bam Bam for about 3 months, I started off with a 20 gallon tank, 2" sand bed, and 1 large flat rock that has some natural arches on the underside. The tank is plumbed into my 100 gallon reef system as a stand alone refugium...and Bam Bam display! After a few weeks I noticed that I didn't have enough flow in his tank with just the one pump that feeds the tank from my sump, so I added a power head. I also have since added a lot more rock! One large piece and about 10-15 smaller rubble pieces.

Well, with the new powerhead in there now I have noticed that the sand is being blown all over the place and there is bare glass exposed in the back corner, and last week Bam Bam's burrow was filled in by the blowing sand, so now he is just hanging out in one of the large arches, but it's not very secure...especially compared to his last house!

My question is; can I go in there and really rearrange the rocks, move the power head, level out the sand and let him start over...or is this process going to stress him out to much? I want to get the rubble in a little better pile and see if I can't get his old home uncovered a little bit and get that powerhead set up different so it doesn't push the sand around so much.

Your advice is appreciated. Just to let you know, he seems to be good right now, eats pretty much daily and is active...but just doesn't have a very good burrow.

turnabod
01/09/2007, 11:26 AM
my peacock is always rearanging his house. i add new rubble to the tank every once in a while to give him new material to build with. that being said i don't think it would stress out Bam Bam that bad to rearange the rock.

DanInSD
01/09/2007, 02:05 PM
No problem for the mantis... just watch your fingers!

Dirt4dinner
01/09/2007, 02:11 PM
I got done doing it about an hour ago and he is already hard at work on digging a new burrow. I also moved the powerhead so it doesn't disturb the sand so much. Bam Bam has two fish that live with him...I think I stressed them out more, they were FREAKIN' out when I was messing around in there. Thanks for the help guys, hopefully this rock set up with work out for him a little better.