PDA

View Full Version : Black-ick (Tang disease)

rinklskn
01/09/2007, 01:07 PM
Black-ick (Tang disease). what do I use to get rid of it. what company makes the product. please help must take care of this as soon as possible. By the way my tang is in a reef tank so no copper.

D659600
01/09/2007, 01:19 PM
Fresh water dips are the best way. I have not heard of a med. that would get rid of it.

rinklskn
01/09/2007, 01:25 PM
fresh water dips have never done anything for me but scare the **** outta my fish. are you sure there is no med. besides that would only kill the parasites on the fish. the tank would still have them so he would get a relapse.

Hattie B
01/09/2007, 04:33 PM
Watch this thread too. He is also looking into Black Ich.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1013969

Hedonist
01/27/2007, 03:58 PM
From what I have read, this is caused by a worm called a tubellarian...after 5-6 days, they drop from the host to the bottom of the tank. They will mature and develope young worms in their body. Once developed, about 5 days later the adult worms are released into the aquarium. Fresh water dips, followed by a formalin dip and QT has been suggested, asw well as Formalin based products or ones containing organophosphate compounds like trichlorfan may work. In addition to meds, cleaning up debris and excessive oraganic build up may reduce the population..... Hyposalinity may also help reduce the population of the worms.. also a product called Revive by FishVet is thought to be a reef safe exteranl parasite treatment....

I wonder about cleaner shrimp, a friend has a sailfin with balck ich that is going to the cleaner shrimp quite often, but I wonder about the other worms that may be on the loose... Do the shrimp actaully eat the ich and parasites they pull off anyway?

I am guessing that this is different that reg ich, where it comes and goes.. if this is a worm, is it much more serious and harder to get rid of

denise