PDA

View Full Version : How well do Serpent Stars hide ?

FullPull
01/09/2007, 04:15 PM
The reason I'm asking, we put two in our tank this past saturday and after we lost sight of them they haven't been seen again. I know it can be hard to see stuff, our porcelain crab can be tricky to find at times. We've used the red light at night..and nothing These guys just vanished, I just pray they haven't died in hiding.

reefshadow
01/09/2007, 04:29 PM
They can hide very well. I have 4 of them and can usually see one or more arms stretch out from under their rocks when I feed, but never see all of them. Mine like to burrow under the rocks and stay pretty much in the same place. One of them is 4 years old, and dinner plate size.

Maybe look for their arms when you feed.

FullPull
01/09/2007, 04:49 PM
dinner plate size !!..I've seen some nice sized ones but not that big...thems some long arms

reefshadow
01/09/2007, 04:57 PM
Yes, lol. I've been meaning to take a pic of it too, for posterity and in the interests of science. It's also my ugliest star, army green with yellowish tube feet. I've had people comment on the arms sticking out, and how scary they are.

FullPull
01/09/2007, 05:11 PM
I'm just hoping to find them. Thought I lost a nudibranch as well...found it in the return side of my sump...what a ride he must have had..laughing