PDA

View Full Version : hardiness of green chromis damsel?

reef_friendly
01/10/2007, 12:44 AM
i read a thread a few days back that mentioned some problems with the green chromis damsel. i am planning to get a few of them. i had a hardy image for this specimen in my mind that is a bit hindered now. looking for some expert views and experiences as soon as possible as i am planning to get them before anyone else takes them. thanx.

reef_friendly
01/10/2007, 01:05 AM
no replies? :(

SuperNerd
01/10/2007, 01:15 AM
Hardy and not aggressive towards other fish. They will form a pecking order and you may end up with only one or two.

reef_friendly
01/10/2007, 01:46 AM
u mean they will pech eachother? if yes, then is there any known reason for this behaviour?

reef_friendly
01/10/2007, 01:47 AM
peck*

reef_friendly
01/10/2007, 01:48 AM
and why is it suggested to keep them in odd numbers?

SuperNerd
01/10/2007, 02:13 AM
It most likely has to do with passing on their genes. It's an instinct to do this.

Odd #s because of the pecking order but even this tactic may lead to one or two killing off the rest. It's a hierarchy based on dominance/aggression. The more dominant/aggressive fish position themselves on top of the hierarchy by physically asserting themselves over the rest of the fish. This isn't just with fish. Other animals do it in ways that are not easily noticeable to people.

On the reef the aggression is spread out over a larger population and area so that the actual nipping and biting is less likely to happen or be seen and less likely to result in the fish being fatally wounded or picked on to the point where it dies from stress.

In the aquarium it's isolated amongst not as many fish, and there is not as much room for the weaker fish to keep a decent distance away from the more dominant fish, so there is a greater chance that one or two of the weakest/least aggressive ones will take the brunt of the aggression more often and more severely than others. This is what will most likely lead to the weaker ones dying off.

They can form pairs and spawn in the aquarium but I believe the pair will become more aggressive towards the rest when that happens.

reef_friendly
01/10/2007, 02:19 AM
thanx super nerd for all the useful information. now as i have already booked four of them on the phone, what do u suggest should i get all four of them, or just three of them, or should i cancel the order completely. mine is a 6x2x2 tank

SuperNerd
01/10/2007, 02:26 AM
It may be okay. In a 180 there may be enough room for 4 to form a loose "school" when they get bigger but keep an eye out on them as they get older just in case you have to take one or some back to the LFS for credit. :)

reef_friendly
01/10/2007, 02:33 AM
thanx for the help once again Mr. SN. have a good day

evilelvis
01/10/2007, 04:48 AM
Back in the day before I read any reef sites I was told by the LFS that 5 was a good number. Well I had 5 including a weeeee little dude. Somehow the wee dude survived and now I am down to 2. Luckily for me that ended my "let me add more fish" experiment last year when I started this hobby and I am happy with the 2 I have and won't be adding anymore to die. They get along with everything else though.

anr211
01/10/2007, 06:15 AM
Chromis are probably one of the hardier fish. The only problem with them is killing each other. I tried to have 5 and ended up with 3 that get along, 1 dead, and 1 that lives in my quarantine full time because they nearly killed him.

reef_friendly
01/10/2007, 06:23 AM
hmmmm! so what do u think i should do? my friend is already on his way to get three of them for me.

reef_friendly
01/10/2007, 10:11 AM
well.... the latest news is tha i have put three of the little fighters in my tank . its been 4 hours now and r doing well so far. eating good and roaming around together. lets hope for the best. fingers crossed.

UrbanSage
01/10/2007, 10:17 AM
I have six green Chromis in a 75g been getting along nicely for over six months now.
I say go for it!

reef_friendly
01/10/2007, 10:27 AM
i'll give them some time urban and if they get along well i don't think i'll add anymore or may i do. i really don't know at this point of time. i might get a few other beautiful damsels. know any other peaceful ones?

Navyblue
01/10/2007, 10:34 AM
I have heard of theory that some fishes school to protect themselves more aggressive fishes. And when that threat is not present they find life pretty meaningless and wonders why shouldn't they bully each other for the fun of it. May be you can add a large mean fish to keep them busy.

UrbanSage
01/10/2007, 10:35 AM
I only have experience with the yellowtail and the green chromis. I have both in my tank and everyone is getting along.

Ofcourse this does not mean they will in your tank or anyone elses, but I have had good luck with them!

reef_friendly
01/10/2007, 11:50 AM
hoping for the best guys and thanx for all ur help. really appreciate this. one reason for my excess concern is that i recently killed my new powder blue so just being a bit causious

tibbs2
01/10/2007, 11:58 AM
3 chromis in a 180 gallon should be fine. They have enough room for each of them to establish their own territory. I have 3 in my 75. They didn't use to school but my tang has gotten bigger and now they stick together.

reef_friendly
01/11/2007, 12:16 AM
good news this morning is that all three of them r together now for ver 18 hours. they eating well and enjoying themselves schooling together. seems happy.

Navyblue
01/11/2007, 02:47 AM
While it is not a bad news, I'd say it is too early to say anything. They sure feel threatened in a new environment. Do keep a watch on them. If they do fight, may be you can have a tang like Tibbs2 does. But I guess you have more than enough room for 3 even they do fight.:)

reef_friendly
01/11/2007, 03:17 AM
:D don't scare me navyblue. :lol:

Navyblue
01/11/2007, 03:21 AM
I thought I did include some consoling words. :D

reef_friendly
01/11/2007, 04:16 AM
haha! i was justkidding buddy. i am sitting in front of my tank and enjoying watching it. they have a nice color. these have the best color i've ever seen in the LFSs here. he said these came from singapore

sjm817
01/11/2007, 07:22 AM
I have had 6 for about 2 years. They started in my 90 and were transferred to the 180. Very hardy fish.

Navyblue
01/11/2007, 08:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8951674#post8951674 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reef_friendly
haha! i was justkidding buddy. i am sitting in front of my tank and enjoying watching it. they have a nice color. these have the best color i've ever seen in the LFSs here. he said these came from singapore

I guess your LFS meant the fishes transited in Singapore. I am staying in Singapore and there isn't any reef here. :D

Btw, we don't fancy the livestocks that are hailed around here, they seemed to considered inferior than those coming from the Caribbean, Red Sea, Hawaii or Maldives. For example the cleaner shrimp that is hailed from Maldives cost 50% more than the same looking shrimp from Indonesia, the LFS said they are supposed to be hardier. I guess the grass on the other side is always greener. :D

reef_friendly
01/12/2007, 11:17 PM
thanx for the info navy. i wasn't aware of the fact.

old salty
01/12/2007, 11:50 PM
I have 5 of them in a 125; been there for over a year. Though they haven't killed each other, they certainly have a pecking order; the largest is the bully and the smallest takes most of the punishment; not a lot but is definitely pushed around from time to time. I keep them well fed so they don't kill over a short food supply which might be why the little guy is still happy as can be.