PDA

View Full Version : Using Phytoplankton

bruffin
01/10/2007, 12:30 PM
What are you using & when do you feed?
Is there anyone feeding home-grown phyto?

--Brian

reefnetworth
01/10/2007, 12:51 PM
www.melevsreef.com has all the info you will ever need on phyto. ive used DT's for about a year and discontinued it because the shipping cost more than the product. even in the winter months. www.marinedepot.com 15 oz bottle is $15.99, shipping is $24.99. i now use Marine Snow, its availabe at my LFS for $12.99 for a 16 oz bottle. DT's can also promote algae. if you need algae, add chelated iron.

John M. :smokin:

bruffin
01/10/2007, 02:56 PM
I've thought about using Marine Snow. It's the same price at my LFS. The only thing is, that when I read the label, it had the kind of phyto that doesn't stay alive without refrigeration.

John, have you noticed a change using it, than with the DT's? How's the growth in your tank been?

-- Brian CR

LLUSA
01/10/2007, 10:36 PM
Wow;

I'm stunned that we are comparing two totally different products. Each with its own niche.

If you would like to grow your own phyto, and it can a fun and enjoyable experience. However, it is a bit of a task, and if you are not careful, you'll be importing unecessary nutrients into your tank.

I don't see a differance between live and non live phtyo. Use what is cost effective for you. But most important. Use something.

Ed

bruffin
01/11/2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks Ed,

When you say that each has its own niche, could you explain the differences and what each type would be best used for?

Is there a Liquid Life Phyto product that you would recommend for an LPS dominated tank?

-- Brian

LLUSA
01/11/2007, 09:25 AM
This is where I need to be careful. As I am a manufacture, I am not looking to sell you any of our products, so I will leave those out, rather.

If I were to use Marine Snow, it would be in a system that I am looking for an absolute minimum of nutrient levels in. I mean absolute minimum.

Were I to use Phytoplankton, it would be in a tank that has a larger filtration system. As in a refugium, skimmer, Live Rock.

Some time ago, Rob Tonnen did a survey where he compared the ability of Planktonic feeds to grow a rotifer culture.

By nature, zooplankton in your tank has a growth rate that can be exponential. Therefore you end up with a larger bioload when you factor in the phyto addition, and the zooplankton creation. So phyto additions are great for tanks that have a nutrient export ability.

Some tanks are designed to run on a bare minimum of load. This is where I would use Marine Snow.

For LPS, I would use larger bits of feed. I like using MarinePlankton, Cyclop-eeze, or Mysis shrimp.

Ed

acroman
01/14/2007, 10:06 AM
but live phyto photosynthesizes, and the zooplankton produced get eaten/ skimmed/ destroyed fairly quickly. There is also nowhere near enough phyto in our tanks to allow the exponential growth of rotifers, unless people are dosing enough to turn the water green. the only nutrients i would worry about is the addition of unused F/2 media, which could definatly be an issue if you were adding enough phyto to turn the water green.

LLUSA
01/14/2007, 05:00 PM
I don't think the photosynthesis is going to have an impact. As you mentioned with the zooplankton, you just dont have enough phyto to uptake any undesirable nutrients in the tank.

However, I disagree about being able to have strong cultures of zooplankton in a tank that is being feed regular phyto additions. I have seen fantastic zooplankton populations. Especially when people use above tank refugiums.

As for excess nutrients, we are saying the same thing about the F/2.

Ed

bad habit
01/17/2007, 03:07 AM
I feed my lps corals a mixture of shrimp clams mussels silversides & oysters. put it in the blender for a couple of min. then poure into a ziplock bag and flaten and freeze. then break off 1/2x1/2 piece thaw in tank water and target feed my lps. they love it.