PDA

View Full Version : What kind of alge is this?? Sorry no pics.

salty3
01/10/2007, 01:57 PM
I though it was cyno because some of it would turn to red hair, but Ive been using chemiclean and the red hair has gone away, but the brown mats on the sand is untouched by the chemiclean. Also what can I do about the cause I know its from phos and I've went to 5 places to get ro/di and all of them are at 1.0 ppm and the people have put new filters in but say its because of the water this time of year in southern Ill. If you had this prob what would you do? I dont have the money for a ro unit right now but my tank is only 30 gal and did'nt think it was a good investment for such a small tank. So what can I do to inprove my water,and get ride of the unknown alge or diatoms?

drummereef
01/10/2007, 01:59 PM
Imo, an RO/DI is the best investment you can make for any tank size. Hard to say about the algae, but it could be a diatom bloom if your water tds is high. I would recommend using the 1tds water over tap any day.

salty3
01/10/2007, 02:07 PM
I'll continue useing the ro over tap, just didnt know if I could do anything to improve the ro water some how. I'm wounering though if I buy a ro unit wont it come out the same with phos like the rest of the places? I dont have a tds meter but will buy one alond with a ro unit if I think I can start getting good water, just have to wait for work to pick up though on no work days now. It's funny either I'm workin all the time or not much at all.