PDA

View Full Version : How do you control aptasia in your seahorse tank?

sugartooth
01/10/2007, 03:10 PM
I just started putting mushrooms and zoas in the seahorse tank, also a couple of leathers that I transferred from my reef.
I have a very large population of aptasia in one of these tanks and want to keep the seahorse tank clean.
So far, I have done visual inspections, used a razor to remove the bottom of aptasia that I see, freshwater dip, and iodine dip before introducing to the tank.

One day later, I see a small aptasia hanging out on the rock with leathers, so I pulled the leather and rock right out.

There's bound to be more, I would like to hear how others control this in their tanks. I am particularly worried because it's a big tank, 130 gallon.

By the way, the seahorses are not in there yet.

Thanks in advance!

pledosophy
01/10/2007, 03:51 PM
I would use a group of peppermint shrimp. Maybe 6 or so in that tank. They will eat the aipies and there breeding will provide snacks. :D

sugartooth
01/10/2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks! I'm wondering, the seahorses won't try and eat the peps?

seas_inside
01/10/2007, 04:49 PM
Joe's Juice, I've heard, works pretty well.

pledosophy
01/10/2007, 06:06 PM
Joe's juice does work but IME with aips many times you don't know you have one until it is old enough to be spreading seeds. Checking the tank everyday for aips is lame. The peps will eat them.

If you get large enough pep's the seahorses will not eat them. I have kept up to 10 in a 65g seahorse tank.

sugartooth
01/10/2007, 06:48 PM
The problem with Joes Juice is that I likely won't be able to reach most of them because it is a 30" tall tank and 4 foot wide. I would like a more natural way in order to ensure that all of the ones I would miss would be taken care of....
By the way, do seahorses instinctively know not to go near something that may sting them?

pledosophy
01/10/2007, 07:10 PM
No, IME I have seen an aiptasia kill a seahorse. They have no spidey sense. :D

ReefWidowed
01/10/2007, 07:14 PM
My pep shrimp just stare at them stupidly.....I have had zero luck with them. When we had a really bad manjano/ap infestation we got a raccoon butterfly fish and within 2 days they were all gone, and we were able just to spot-treat with JJ....then we offered it to sale to a fellow reef/club member.....

basically, I think maybe a multi-front attack is necessary if it is bad.
HTH
Jennifer

sugartooth
01/10/2007, 07:17 PM
Do you think it's better to introduce a heniochus to keep control of them?

As of now, I don't see any in the tank. I just want to be prepared if it gets out of control like my other tank.

earlnewt
01/10/2007, 11:38 PM
I had the same problem with my seahorse tank . I put in five pepperments and nothing. I either plucked them out with with tweezers (a fast flick of the wrist while gripping the base). I also used the STOP aip.. I turned off the filter and pump. used a pepit and slowly released a small cloud just over the aip.. As it closses up it digests some of the STOP aip.. turn waterflow on in ten or so min. I repeted this a few times until all were gone. Nothing was effected ie. seahorses, purple whip gorgonian, yellow coral banded, polyps, shrooms, crabs various gobbies ect. Good luck..

reverendmaynard
01/11/2007, 11:41 PM
I had great luck with a trio of peppermint shrimp in my 29 gal. I've also heard from plenty of people that their peps didn't eat the aptasia. I think it's worth a try as they are relatively inexpensive and don't add much to the bioload.

earlnewt
01/11/2007, 11:56 PM
I agree with trying the shrimp first. This is the best and most natural way. Besides, if nothing happens they are kind of goofy to watch in groups.

sugartooth
01/12/2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I will go ahead and try to find a group of peps to buy.
Much appreciated!

earlnewt
01/12/2007, 12:03 AM
They should not be no more than $7.00 each. 5 for $25.00 would be good. Never hurts to ask. Good luck.

masterqaz
01/12/2007, 09:39 AM
ive heard that pep's may nip at polypes on solft corals and waht not. Has anyone seen them doing this. I'm just a little worried about putting a few of these guys in my tank if this is true.

reverendmaynard
01/12/2007, 09:56 AM
I have zoas, leathers, clove polyps, and mushrooms with mine with no problems. I think you would want to watch for anemones or anemone-like corals, but those really shouldn't be in a seahorse tank anyway.

gunslingerone9
01/12/2007, 11:18 PM
:beer: hey the reason the peppermints might not each aptasia in a seahorse tank is that you have to feed seahorses alot and if you have a lot of aptasias you kind of want to cut back on food in the tank so the shrimp eat them with all the frequent feedins why would the shrimp have to hunt for food? . just a thought

pledosophy
01/12/2007, 11:31 PM
pep's are reef safe and should not harm your corals IME. I have kept them for 6 years now.