PDA

View Full Version : My good karma LFS

davocean
01/10/2007, 05:25 PM
So many times we blast our LFS for bad service/info.
So after several really cool experiences I gotta give props to the coolest LFS here in San Diego(S.Cal.)
The owner, Ron, is so enthused about coral propagation and the most helpful dude.( I called once w/ a skimmer prob and he had me bring it in and right there broke out tools and moded for me NC!)
I just brought in some zenia and sinularia(the bottom of a 5g bucket worth) and got $120 credit!
Any other LFS, like $50 if you're lucky.
Traded for a sucali acro,croacea clam, and some choice LR.
Dude has the nicest frag tank w/ the cleanest little gems.
In all my years this is the first time I felt like writing something nice about a LFS.
Just thought I'd share.

lemonsx4
01/10/2007, 05:33 PM
Where in S.D. is he located in?

davocean
01/10/2007, 05:41 PM
On convoy off clairmont mesa.
Not far from aquatic wharehouse(big LFS, lots stuff, but a bit on the rude, bad service/advice side)
Both are worth checking out,AW has lots of nice fish, but attitude!

blueseahorse
01/10/2007, 05:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8947611#post8947611 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davocean
So many times we blast our LFS for bad service/info.
So after several really cool experiences I gotta give props to the coolest LFS here in San Diego(S.Cal.)
The owner, Ron, is so enthused about coral propagation and the most helpful dude.

That's very cool...who is it? You should mention the store by name and/or list a website if available, so other So. Cal locals can patronize this wonderful LFS and support the owner. :cool:

davocean
01/10/2007, 05:44 PM
Oh, space!
Octopus garden.
I'm writing while acclimating my new stuff(big smile!):)

Andrew
01/10/2007, 06:37 PM
What! You didn't hear that zenia prices went way up? They are going for more than $80 a stalk now. Man, you got ripped off.....

.... j/k :D Cool deal.

HBtank
01/10/2007, 07:24 PM
It's nice to have good LFS and good owners.

I have been to Octopus Garden, very nice store from what I remember, but I was into Cichlids at the time. Never saw the SW selection.

I feel lucky to have two stores here in OC that I like (Tong's and Pacific Reef). If you have a chance to buiild a relationship with the owners, your golden. Deals, credit, special orders... etc..

But then, we are spoiled in So Cal...

davocean
01/10/2007, 08:01 PM
Yeah, it's funny, he actually urged me to check out Tongs in OC.
Said it was a must see.
Warner and magnolia?

Zenia-$80 a stock, yeah right Andrew!
I wish, that stuff grows like a weed, a bit too fast since my new lights.

HBtank
01/11/2007, 10:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8949006#post8949006 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davocean
Yeah, it's funny, he actually urged me to check out Tongs in OC.
Said it was a must see.
Warner and magnolia?

Zenia-$80 a stock, yeah right Andrew!
I wish, that stuff grows like a weed, a bit too fast since my new lights.

Yeh, Warner and Magnolia. I am lucky, both my favorite shops are less than 3 miles away :)

Tongs has the largest and best selection of corals/invertebrates, and by far has the best SPS in town. My other favorite shop (Pacific Reef, on Brookhurst and Garfield) has some great corals and invertebrates, but not much SPS. I have had better success with fish from Pacific Reef and It also seems to get the rarer fish. The owner is great too, he pretty much personally services every single person that walks in and I can't remember when he has not been there..

Was also nice that the first time I walked into PR I overheard the owner arguing (pretty serious) for a good 15 minutes with a customer to NOT buy an incompatible fish... refreshing.