PDA

View Full Version : sump design critique please

elzool
01/10/2007, 05:57 PM
The dimensions on this are 18x14x14 (LxWxH) and will be made of acrylic.

The overflow will drop into a small contained box and flow out of it into a larger area for a skimmer, reactor and heater.

I did it like this as I wanted a large open area for any future equipment and so it wouldn't be as crowded.

From there through a series of baffles into the return pump.

Any thoughts?

http://www.labsysgrp.com/sump/sump.gif

Icefire
01/10/2007, 05:59 PM
Top off must be in the return pump.
That's where it's evaporate

sulcata1619
01/10/2007, 09:02 PM
Top off can dump anywhere into the sump. it's all the same body of water.

Icefire
01/11/2007, 11:08 AM
No, the top off float NEED to be in the return section

elzool
01/11/2007, 11:26 AM
It does not have to be there. I currently have my float and top-off line in the same area as the sump and the water level is always consistant.

Outside of the float and water line, any other thoughts?

Stile2
01/11/2007, 11:27 AM
Yes, the top off water can get put into anywhere in the system, the float switch has to be in the return section. While evaporation happens throughout the system the return section is the only place that the water level drops. The rest of the systems water level is kept constant by baffles, overflows, etc.

HTH

elzool
01/11/2007, 11:45 AM
Apparently I shouldn't type while on the phone, the entire sentence came out wrong and I looked goofier than usual.

I said:
I currently have my float and top-off line in the same area as the sump and the water level is always consistant.

What I was trying to say is:
I currently have my float in my return and my top-off line in the same area of my sump as the skimmer and the water level is always constant.

I didn't read Icefires followup well enough to see the clairification of float valve. Sorry Icefire.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

My design, she is flawed.

elzool
01/11/2007, 12:42 PM
Ok, moved the float valve to the return area.

Is there anything else I am missing?
http://www.labsysgrp.com/sump/sump2.gif