PDA

View Full Version : T5 reflectors-Just Curious

BurntOutReefer
01/10/2007, 06:48 PM
Why is everyone recommending individual reflectors...?
Just curious....surely the light reflected out cant be that much difference?????

dwdenny
01/10/2007, 07:31 PM
Good reflectors help aim the light back into the tank rather then every where else but te tank. The fact that T5 are small in diameter the reflectors work even better at aiming the light into the tank. I know Grim can answer this better then me but that is the just of the reflectors. HTH

GSMguy
01/10/2007, 08:45 PM
they are way way bettter using this method

pjf
01/11/2007, 12:01 AM
Here's what a parabolic reflector is supposed to do:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/93304parabolic_reflector.GIF
This is supposed to be a cross-section of a reflector and tube fixture. Imagine a cross section of the tube at the focus of the reflector where the lines emanate from.

BurntOutReefer
01/11/2007, 10:44 AM
hmmm...maybe I should rephrase....
individual reflectors (per bulb) versus one big one with multiple bulbs....

Henry Bowman
01/11/2007, 10:50 AM
The individual reflectors utilize the light from the backside of the bulb and throw it into the tank without bouncing any of the light back into the bulb(called restrike I believe), therefore making them the most efficient reflectors available. Approx 100% of the light from a T5 with individual reflectors makes it to the tank. I am sure there is some loss due to the lack of a perfect surface in the reflectors.

What makes individual reflectors so effective in the T5 application is the size (small diameter) of the bulbs where larger flourescents would need much larger reflectors to do the same thing, limiting the number of lights we could fit over standard tank sizes.

HTH

blackie lawless
01/11/2007, 11:25 AM
When it comes to getting the most out of T5's, individual reflectors are key.

Ti
01/11/2007, 12:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8948293#post8948293 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BurntOutReefer
Why is everyone recommending individual reflectors...?
Just curious....surely the light reflected out cant be that much difference?????
Sunlight supply's website has readings that show what a diff the reflectors make