View Full Version : Acclimation not going well? need info.

A sea K
01/10/2007, 06:36 PM
Tank stats;

210 AGA , 50 gal sump/fuge and seperate 15 gal sump, ASM G-4+ skimmer, Mag1800 return, Mag1800 CL, 2)Seio 1500 for circulation
Lighting; 3x150 HQI 10K, 4x96 PC, Moonlights.
Tank has been operational since Aug/5/06

Tank critters;
1) LMB 1) Hectori goby 1) P. fridmani 4) Carpenter wrasse
2) true Percs Corals and Inverts; 1) BTA & 1) Sebea anemone
1) candycane 1) Frogspawn 2) Tuxedo urchin 1)TT cuke
2) pepermint shrimp 1) blood/fire shrimp 6) emerald crabs
multiple assorted snails and small hermits 350+lbs LR

Temp-81.5, Salinity-34ppt, PH-8.1, Ammo-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-0, dKH-8.0, Calcium-330, Magnesium-1125

Recieved by mail order @ 1:30 PM 1) Magnificent Foxface and 1) Randall's goby. Water temp of bag was 66.5 deg. Temp acclimate for 1 hour in sump followed by 2 hr drip acclimate before placing in system. The fish seemed to fare well during acclimation as far as coloration and nervousness. All lights off except the moon lights and only indirect lighting from the house during acclimation. The gobie seems to be doing well, the Foxface is another story. When first placed in the tank he nosed around the rock for a bit then vanished, I just found him at the top of the tank fins extented rapid breathing and very discolored. I don't think he'll make it till morning. What am I doing wrong? Can anything be done to help this fish? Please respond ASAP. I don't want to lose this fish

Thanks for any advice, Chris

01/10/2007, 06:41 PM
seems like you acclimated very well, i would lean towards the fish being stressed from shipping more than something you did, i think he will be fine in a day or too

01/10/2007, 06:57 PM
How much water was dripped into the bag? Did you remove any water from the bag during the drip?

When I acclimate animals, I use a conductivity meter to measure the water in the bag as I go, to make sure that it's close to the tank SG when I'm done.

I'm not sure that acclimation is the issue, though. Stress might be the issue. I don't think there's anything you can do except wait.

A sea K
01/10/2007, 07:21 PM
I replaced roughly 2x the original bag volume over a 2 hr time period. I don't have a conductivity meter nor did I actualy check the bag water sal. I assumed that my procedure was adequate, but we all know what they say about assumptions. I sure hope this guy pulls through, I am doing my absolute best to provide him with a good home. Thanks for the replies, Chris

01/10/2007, 07:25 PM
Well, that procedure would move the SG in the bag 2/3 of the way from original bag SG to the tank's SG, if I understand you correctly. That might be good enough for most animals, depending on the species in question and the SG of the shipping water.

A sea K
01/10/2007, 07:47 PM
The shippers acclimating instructions said to double the volume of water over 45-60 mins, discard 1/2 the water and repeat. I varied this by confirming my drip rate was sufficient to double the volume in the first 45-60 mins then I emptied 1/2 the water but as I continued the drip I would periodicaly remove a portion of the water to maintain a set level in the acclimation bucket. My thoughts on this were to more accurately equalize the sal. and to help maintain a more constant temp. in the bucket. I don't know if this would leave me 2/3 of the proper salinity or closer. Do you have any tips you could give my for maintaining a constant temp during acclimation?

01/10/2007, 08:40 PM
use a heater

01/10/2007, 09:03 PM
I tend not to use a drip, so I just immerse the bags in the tank for temperature control. I suppose you could do the same, and drip from a tub located above the tank.

A sea K
01/11/2007, 05:12 AM
Update, as of 6:00 AM this morning, The Foxface is no longer at the top of the tank and I can't locate him anywhere in the tank (very dark and too much rock,don't want to disturb w/flashlight either). Hopefully he is resting hidden in the rock. I will resume normal light schedule today and try to locate him when I return from work. Update to follow.

A sea K
01/11/2007, 03:54 PM
The foxface appears to be OK for now but very skiddish. He was out and munching some algea when I came home, coloration is good but I spooked him when I got to close to the tank.

In all my years of fishkeeping I have never had a fish react this poorly when introduced to a tank. "years" right, newbie here with a whopping 17 post.

Anyway all seems well for now and happy to see him grazing on his own. I'll let him settle through tommorow and then try some Nori over the weekend so I can keep an eye on him.

01/11/2007, 07:20 PM
Excellent! Alive and feeding. Those are good signs!