PDA

View Full Version : Air leak in plumbing

jordan2871
01/10/2007, 09:14 PM
So I re-plumbed the tank using reinforced vinyl tubing, hose barbs and hose clamps. I used PVC at the bulkhead entries and at the pump outlet.

I have narrowed this down the zone between my manifold and the bulkhead entries into the tank.

Is this a common problem when using reinforced vinyl tubing?

I cut up my PVC plumbing to make the system more efficient. Now I can not stand to look into the tank.

Advice?

Bergovoy
01/10/2007, 09:51 PM
How did you attach the vinyl tubing, and is it just flexible pvc? (it should say pvc on the side of the tubing)

Bill

jordan2871
01/12/2007, 09:00 PM
Used hose clamps and hose barbs. It's reinforced vinyl tubing.

thanks

watergator
01/12/2007, 09:34 PM
I used the vinyl tubing and didn't care for it much, as I had air leaks (sucking & creating tiny bubbles). I went back to PVC ,and found one air leak at the discharge of the pump (first fitting). I applied a little plumber putty and it stopped instantly and hasn't given me a problem since!!!

AZDesertRat
01/12/2007, 09:42 PM
What makes you think you have an air leak? Have you tried shutting it off for period of time and checked for drips? Are you noticing any salt buildup around any fittings? If you are experiencing bubbles it could be cavitation due to a restricted pump suction or a return that is larger or has more surface area than the suction. Have you tried valving the discharge down a slight bit to stop or reduce bubbles? If you have and it worked that is a clear sign of cavitation and can probably be taken care of with a larger or less restrictive suction.

jordan2871
01/13/2007, 08:31 AM
I rechecked the fittings, barbs and clamps. I do have slight salt build up at one point in the return line...but only on one side and I have air discharging at both returns. I will reseal the joints you mentioned (bonnetthead) and see what happens. Otherwise, back to PVC.

AZDesertrat: no cavitation at the pump entry, I checked that.

Thank you all for the input.

AZDesertRat
01/13/2007, 10:20 AM
You can't check for cavitation at the pump suction. It happens inside the pump volute at the eye of the impeller. Again how is it plumbed as in what size pipe, tubing, any valves, elbows, strainers, sponges etc. It still sounds like the surface area of the suction is less than the discharge, you are trying to lift water with the pump like an up and over, you have a valve or sponge filter on it or something else. Submersible centrifugal pumps are designed to have a flooded open suction with no restrictions. Have you tried the valve on thr discharge side?

Bergovoy
01/13/2007, 11:32 AM
They make a flexible PVC tubing, that will withstand your pressure, that can be glued with the hotter cements, I use Chrysties. They also make a flexible cement, but have heard it not totally necessary. (It jsut takes a little bit more to dry and cure.

they fit regular fittings and the such.

Bill