PDA

View Full Version : Ouch, what are these prickly things on my fingers?

Fermat
01/11/2007, 09:36 AM
When I first handled my live rock with my bare hands, I got some extremely small prickly pointy thing stuck in my finger which I could feel poking me for hours after. Since that, I have used gloves when handling my live rock.

Yesterday, I cleaned out my skimmer sponge by taking it off and squeezing it repeatedly with my bare hand under the tap. Ouch! I got at least half a dozen pokey things again all over my palm and fingers.

So..... What are these things?

Sk8r
01/11/2007, 09:41 AM
Those would be bristleworm spines. Soak your hand in white vinegar: that will dissolve them. Hot water will diminish the pain. They're friendlies, for the tank, but not so good for human fingers. Wear latex gloves, and this won't happen.

Fermat
01/11/2007, 09:43 AM
Cool. So, does it mean I have bristleworms? I haven't seen any (yet).

rustybucket145
01/11/2007, 09:44 AM
Yup, probably bristleworms. Great for the tank so do not remove. There's alot of mis-conception about them out there but they are great at keeping a tank healthy. Latex gloves will solve the problem. I bought a huge box from a medical supply house a year ago for pretty cheap. I still do most everything bare-handed though. Unless I'm gonna be moving rocks around b/c they mostly hang out under the rocks. That's when I strap on the gloves!

onecrzyboi4u
01/11/2007, 09:46 AM
good indication.. they are very good for your tank!!! don't freak out

Fermat
01/11/2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks. I'm pleased, actually. I have read up on them. I've been a little dissapointed with the life on my live rock so far after 7 weeks in the tank, so hopefully they are there.

Yeah, I got a pair of those arm length rubber gloves and use them when dealing with the rock, but it seems I need to use them when squeezing out my sponge as well. :) Makes sense... If they float around the water, then they'd get stuck in the sponge.

dazed
01/11/2007, 10:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8952875#post8952875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fermat
Cool. So, does it mean I have bristleworms? I haven't seen any (yet).

Grab yourself a flashlight after your tank lights have been out for a while and do some "looking" around if they are in there you will see them; they don't like the light.

rustybucket145
01/11/2007, 10:23 AM
All I have to do to see them is turn over a small rock or shell that has been sitting in one place for a while.

Fermat
01/11/2007, 10:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8953174#post8953174 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
All I have to do to see them is turn over a small rock or shell that has been sitting in one place for a while.

I'll try that!

Nano Chris
01/11/2007, 03:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8953133#post8953133 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dazed
Grab yourself a flashlight after your tank lights have been out for a while and do some "looking" around if they are in there you will see them; they don't like the light. Interesting :eek: i have seen several that come out when the light is on, i must be lucky:p

Twisted
01/11/2007, 04:31 PM
I see them every time I feed my tank. They come out of all the little pores in my rocks. I have one that when crunched up is about a 1/4 inch think, and when stretched out can go about 6 inches without leaving his hole.