PDA

View Full Version : Tassled Filefish (a.k.a. Prickly Leatherjacket)

dfleary
01/11/2007, 03:10 PM
Chaetoderma pencilligera -- I bought one of these about 2 months ago. Since that time, it's gone from about 3.5 cm (nose to tail) to about 9 cm, and has become quite the character!

It's in a fish-only aquarium with a heniochus butterfly fish, a harlequin tuskfish, a bird wrasse, and a clown tang. It eats whatever is offered (loves meats, but will even pick at algae sheets), and is very "food-possessive."

This fish usually minds its own business, but will not tolerate harassment from any other fish, in fact, she's probably 2nd in "rank," right under the clown tang, who is self-proclaimed ruler.

Anyone else have any observations on this fish?

Thanks!

saltycreefer
01/11/2007, 03:56 PM
I think they are great. I've put a few in clients reefs with no problems whatsoever. They are definately a dinstinctive fish.

eddie c
01/11/2007, 06:12 PM
i have read that they can be healthy and then perish for no apparent reason, i can't find the link to that article though, i read that after i had one that died it was a rather large one too, i had it for about a year eating fine, fat and healthy and then perished for no apparent reason, but they are a cool looking fish.

Marsfrogie
01/11/2007, 07:30 PM
Do you have any pictures of it?

dfleary
01/11/2007, 08:19 PM
I just added 3 pics to my gallery for you.

marinelife
01/11/2007, 08:25 PM
My understanding is they usually live under a year in home aquariums