PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for Corals - Old question revisited...!

LouPhoenix
01/11/2007, 03:22 PM
I'm sure this question has been asked a few hundred times in this thread list, but as I am a beginner with a hunger for info, I need to find out...

My set up (pics soon to follow) is made up of a 60 Gallon Hexagon tank, sumpless, with an Island of cured live rock, a kicking clean-up crew and excellent circulation that spirals from the bottom up and circles around the entire tank (I've watched a piece of food go into the live rock from the bottom, come out near the top and do at least 3 laps around the LR island before getting sucked up into the filter intake)... Water parameters have been very stable for a some time now.

Lighting wise, I just purchased a Blueline 175 MH with a 10K bulb and 2 32 Watt dual actinics... here's where I need some answers. The light will most likely hange about 7 to 10 inches from the surface, which will produce some very intense lighting to any corals I keep in the top 1/2 of the tank (Keep in mind that the Hexagon tank is VERY tall, 27 Inches tall to be exact). So the bottom half of the tank will get mediocre lighting at best.

From what i know, Mushrooms and zoa's don't require too much light, but before I buy any corals, I want to have at least a general concept of what type of (popular) corals require more lighting, as well as those which require less.

I know I will need to upgrade my lights at some point, but I'd like to start with what I have. If you also have any links that cover this subject, i'd appreciate it!!!

LouPhoenix
01/12/2007, 05:40 PM
Wow... don't everyone respond at once. :rolleyes:

Maybe i'm posting in the wrong thread. :confused:

Dastank
01/12/2007, 06:01 PM
I had the same trouble posting in this forum. It doesn’t seem to get the traffic like some of the other categories do. I can't answer all your questions, but you might have better luck going to the specific coral thread and posing the same question about some specific corals your interested in.

IMO I think your lights sound like a good start. In general the softies need less light than the SPS, but some of my zoos are at the top of the tank under full light and loving it. I find that I have to play with my corals in the tank to find the right level for them to be happiest. Some bleach at the top others color up.

If your tank is 27" tall I wouldn't put anything with high light requirements near the bottom and if you have something that needs a lot of light, like a clam, it should probably go very close to the top.

I hope some of this helps you.

Mike

LouPhoenix
01/12/2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks Mike!!!