PDA

View Full Version : Putting Cooked liverock back in a tank????


zrs6v4
01/11/2007, 03:53 PM
Ok I have 100 lbs of liverock I cooked in a trashcan to kill off aiptasia infestations.. I have it in a rubbermaid trashcan and it smells horrible.. anyway I am putting it into a 110 gallon tank that has 50 lbs of liverock in it and a yellow tang, a blue damsel, a spotted cardinal, and a percula clown..
How should I introduce it back into the tank???
will it cause my tank to cycle?

any imput would be helpful.. thanks in advance

bertoni
01/11/2007, 04:00 PM
If it smells horrible, most likely there's a bunch of dead animals in it. I'd guess you'd need to cure it again, or pitch it.

zrs6v4
01/11/2007, 04:01 PM
how could I cure it?

bertoni
01/11/2007, 04:02 PM
You'd need to put a heater, pump, and hopefully a protein skimmer on the tub, and start doing some water changes. Eventually, the smell should go away.

It's effectively base rock, most likely, at this point. I'd probably just pitch it.

zrs6v4
01/11/2007, 04:07 PM
well I have had it in the tub for about 3 weeks with a heater and a mj1200.. I really didnt mean to cook it, but I left the heater turned up to long when I was in florida.. anyway I hate to just throw it all away, so I guess I will throw a skimmer on it and see if I can make it useable.. I had someone suggest to put it back in the tank little by little, would that be a bad idea??

bertoni
01/11/2007, 07:18 PM
Well, the rock might have adsorbed a lot of phosphate and nutrients. You could try a strong bleach treatment, followed by dechlorination, and then a brief bath in a 10:1 water-muriatic-acid bath. That's 10 parts water to 1 part muriatic acid. Muriatic acid requires very careful handling, though.