PDA

View Full Version : Single anthias in 55g

dustin323
01/11/2007, 07:01 PM
I know a lot of you keep anthias in groups which I'm sure looks absolutely stunning. Though I only have me a 55g & would like one. They do fine kept singly, right? Also it don't matter if I get a male or female since I'm keeping it singly, right? Which would you recommend for a 55g? I really like the male squarebacks if they're hardy & "what-not".

Thanks in advance.

SDguy
01/11/2007, 07:09 PM
Have you checked out the fathead, or sunburst anthias. Perfect for you, I think.

bubbaOPPD
01/11/2007, 07:09 PM
Squares are not hardy at all most anthias need to be in groups to feel safe but a Fathead anthias can be kept by themselves.

He beat me to it.

dustin323
01/11/2007, 07:15 PM
Ok thanks for the quick reply. I checked out the fat head anthias. I like it, though I like others better. However I see that though it is not uncommon it isn't always avaliable. I'm planning on going down to New Orleans tomorrow to look for one, & the last few times I've seen a few different ones. Ya'll want to recommend any other ones that would do good? I'd like to know a few different types if any that'd be good so if I see it I can nab it & know about it.

SDguy
01/11/2007, 07:46 PM
Hardiest, IME, are bartlett and redbar. And will be fine alone. Lyretail, though hardy, hide a lot if alone, again, IME.

dustin323
01/11/2007, 10:16 PM
Ok thanks a lot I'll keep all of this in mind & see what they've got. New Orleans is a good 45 minute drive for me so I like to know what would work so I don't impulse buy or listen to some guy at the store.

jadette
01/11/2007, 11:36 PM
Here's a great article on the different types of anthias out there:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/hcs3/index.php

According to the article, it's a common misconception that all anthias need to be kept in schools.

dustin323
01/11/2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks for that article jadette, I'll have to read that in the morning.

SDguy
01/12/2007, 07:49 AM
Also take a look at the wetwebmedia.com breakdown of anthias. Those listed as hardy and/or scrappy can usually be kept as singles. I think hutchii is another as yet unmentioned here.

dustin323
01/12/2007, 10:37 AM
Cool, I like the hutchii a lot. I'm about to leave to New Orleans so I'll see. I'll let ya'll know what I end up getting.

falconut
01/12/2007, 11:30 AM
I had a single Male Lyretail for over a year and it was always out swimming around. He died due to a 12+ hour power outage.

I now have two female Lyretails and they are fine as well. I've had them for about 6 months now.

Mine were all in a 90 gal. tank (4' wide). If they have enough room to swim, and are eating, they should be fine. The male was the first fish in the tank, a little finiky with the eatting. The females were QT's first for a couple weeks, eatting well, then added. HTH

dustin323
01/12/2007, 11:23 PM
Well today I had the choice out of a two nice looking male lyretails, bunch of barletts, or a sick square back. I decided on the best looking male lyretail.I just got back with him & acclimated, though hiding of course. He seemed to be on a good route. We'll see tomorrow.

By the way what was wrong with the square back they had was one of it's eyes were kind of popped out & had like a whitish coat over it. What is that called, pop-eye? It looked nasty, felt a bit sorry for him. Still though they wanted the full $58 for him. :(

SDguy
01/13/2007, 01:44 AM
You should be fine with your male lyretail...as long as your other fish are not too boisterous.

Pics are always welcome :D

dustin323
01/13/2007, 11:48 AM
I'll have to get some pics later today. So far he is doing good came out & ate earlier. He swimming around pretty good I think to have just been added yesterday. He hasn't colored back up as much as in the store, but give him some time.

dustin323
01/15/2007, 12:45 AM
Here is a pic of him from tonight. Still his colors aren't as they were in the store, but I feel he is doing awesome. Constantly out & moving, feeding good also. It seems as though since I added him my clown & wrasse stay out more often, which I read that is common as they are so active.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d59/willys323/1-14-2006012.jpg

SDguy
01/15/2007, 10:51 AM
Very nice! Glad he's doing well.