View Full Version : Threadfin/Blue Streak Cardinal/Apogon Leptacanthus

Serioussnaps
01/12/2007, 12:11 AM
Considering getting 5 or 6 of these.

Here is an article(s):

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/detail.aspx?aid=9664&cid=3799&search=

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/cardinalfish/glasscardinal/

So here are my Q's:

Anyone kept them? What are your experiences?

Any tips for keeping successfully? (i have read places they are much less agressive towards each other than the bangaii)

I have a pair of percs and a foxface in my 55g...the foxface is a baby who will outgrow the tank...i plan on upgrading to a 100 cube or even larger in the next 1-1.5 years so not an issue.

I must have a shoal of these badboys...is it possible or will I have to ditch the clowns(or move to sump for time being) Can a shoal be kept as suggested and as I have seen in one other members tank?

Also, as I keep an SPS dominant tank it presents other issues...will 5 or 6 cause a huge creep in bioload(my tank is ridiculously clean and well maintained right now) or will i have to ditch the other fish or some of the 3?

I think they would look cool shoaling or close to it over a tank chocked full of stonies.

dvmsn
01/12/2007, 01:59 PM
I started with 5- 6 about two years ago. They have slowly worked down to a pair. I think this was from natural mortality not aggression. They swam as a school until they got down to four, when they paired off.

Bret61081
01/12/2007, 02:06 PM
If you are going to get them ,i would get them from a LFS. They do not ship well. My friend owns a LFS and has only had one batch come in in good shape. Very cool fish...ecpecially if you have a lot of atinic

dvmsn
01/12/2007, 02:10 PM
Ditto, don't count on them eating for a week and then only frozen food.

Hormigaquatica
01/12/2007, 04:10 PM
They ship very poorly, but if you get a nicely acclimated, feeding group, theyre great fish. They tend to be shy, esp compared so something like PJs or Kauderns, so give them some large caves/protected areas to hang out. I kept a group of them for quite a long time, and plan on doing it again one of these days.

Serioussnaps
01/12/2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks everyone....

You think the clown pair would bully the hell out of them? My female clown nips at my foxface, nothing serious, foxface is small and fairly timid, but seeing as how they are highly unagressive do you thing a little pressure from the clowns not to come in their area would cause their demise?

Also, how do they react to high flow? My tank has lots of flow in it!

Do they seem to need alot of swimming room? If thats the case I may have to axe the clowns and foxface as I only a 55g and a small area is dominated by the clowns.

I figured i was going to have to get a 6 or 12 lot but I guess if i want 5 or 6 in my tank im going to have to get 12 of them...sound right?

Lastly, for those of you successful in keeping/acclimating them.....How often did you feed them? and what?

Thanks again, have a great weekend!

Fishfreak218
01/12/2007, 06:12 PM
i am also thinking of getting a few of these.. if I can get some healthy ones in