PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Feeders

RockyMtnReef
01/12/2007, 12:23 PM
I am going to be travelling a bit in the next couple months and wanted some input on auto feeders? Is there one out there that is "top of the line"? I would rather do it right the first time around.

Thanks,

RockyMtnReef
01/12/2007, 04:55 PM
Anyone?

Trickman2
01/12/2007, 05:00 PM
ehiem makes a decent unit

rrodd89
01/12/2007, 05:06 PM
yea i am also interested in these for when i have school.

atvdave
01/12/2007, 06:21 PM
I use the Eheim auto feeder (only when I'm away, I don't want the fish to be scared of people).

The one thing that is a must however is something like a feeding ring cause the food will float on top and get sucked down the overflow.
I made my own out of a clear specimen tray that I cut the bottom out of. This allows the food to sink before it gets swept away.

Also you will need a auto top off system and maybe a auto supplement system.

I use a Rubbermaid 45gal trash can for my top off supply.

crumbletop
01/12/2007, 06:27 PM
I have heard good things about this one, although I don't have any experience with it:

http://www.super-feed.com/

RockyMtnReef
01/15/2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all the input. I currently use a 5 stage Spectrapure RO/DI unit with an auto top off system and all my lights are on timers. My skimmer cup is drilled so I can run a hose to a bucket to prevent overflow. I also run a Geo Calcium reactor so even though I have a pretty full SPS tank I am not too (knock on wood) worried about the corals. I mainly want to make sure my tangs and anthias stay well fed.

I really appreciate the tip on the feeding ring. I would not have thought of that.

gasman059
01/15/2007, 08:51 AM
I use an eheim dalily and it does work when I'm away at work pretty good

mc-cro
01/15/2007, 11:06 AM
I am in the process of looking for an auto feeder myself.
depending on how and how often you are going to use it
will determine alot of your needs.

I personally travel for work all week, every week. I think I will be buying this unit in the coming weeks.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4464&inm=1&N=2004+62741+2032

You can fill each serving with whatever you like. flakes, pellets, freeze dried cyclopz, even dosing with stuff. plus it is ac powered

this keeps a varied diet, even when your gone.