PDA

View Full Version : Any ETA on Dimmable Ballasts?

jamesdawson
01/12/2007, 01:27 PM
Any news on when Aquatronica controlled dimmable T-5 ballasts might become available?

James

RobbyG
01/12/2007, 05:21 PM
Yes this and the water sensors would be nice.

jamesdawson
01/12/2007, 06:11 PM
Hey Robby,

The Calcium module will be a fantastic addition to the hobby also! Didn't they say their testing on this will go to the spring?

James

RobbyG
01/12/2007, 10:13 PM
James I think they are having the same problems every company is having with Calcium, there is just not a good enough probe on the market. One that does not require constant recalibration and is affordable. I suspect this one will be delayed.

james3200
01/13/2007, 11:29 AM
Any news on when Aquatronica controlled dimmable T-5 ballasts might become available?

Awesome, just started researching into doing it DIY, buy if aquatronica bring some out :rollface:

Would like to hear about that

James

RobbyG
01/13/2007, 01:25 PM
They are releasing the following

T5 Dimming Module
Leak Detector Pads
SMS Module.

Those have all been done and are soon to be delivered.

james3200
01/13/2007, 02:58 PM
Any sort of date planned fo the Dimmer?

thanks

RobbyG
01/14/2007, 11:50 AM
Maybe Gilberto can ask them.
I have not heard any dates except on SMS which should be within the next 2-3 months.

jamesdawson
01/18/2007, 05:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8978945#post8978945 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RobbyG
Maybe Gilberto can ask them.
I have not heard any dates except on SMS which should be within the next 2-3 months.

Yes, and also Gilberto if you could please ask Aquatronica--which ballasts will work with the dimming module-- hopefully the Osram/Phillips will--very expensive but of the highest quality.

James

RobbyG
01/18/2007, 05:50 PM
Whats happened to Gilberto?

jamesdawson
01/22/2007, 12:08 AM
Should we put him on a milk carton :D

Hopefully he's enjoying a nice holiday!

James

ik2vov
01/22/2007, 06:01 AM
Hi, i'm back again, sorry, but I had personal problems and I could not be on the forum these days.

At the end of the first quarter will be relaesed the wet sensor and module and the SMS module.

About T5 electronic dimmerable ballast I know they are working on their own Ballast, not Osram or else, I have to ask if they have an availability date.

Bye

RobbyG
01/22/2007, 11:34 AM
Great info Gilberto. I thought they would just make a module that did 1-10V
I am a little surprised they decided to make the whole ballast. Hmmm I wonder what other features they might be building into that ballast :)

jamesdawson
01/22/2007, 06:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9044167#post9044167 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RobbyG
Great info Gilberto. I thought they would just make a module that did 1-10V
I am a little surprised they decided to make the whole ballast. Hmmm I wonder what other features they might be building into that ballast :)

What other cool features do you think can be built into a ballast, Robby?

James

wavey
01/28/2007, 02:04 PM
Just got back from the factory

new probe holder

saw a calcium probe on test:D

prototype dimming module for not just lights:D

leakage sensor just about ready for production, along with SMS module:D

lots of pumps laying around:D

and in typical spy fashion, other things that would leave me with no option but to kill you if I told you:D :D :D

Keep with 'em guys, the product development is truly well above anyone elses.

RobbyG
01/28/2007, 05:14 PM
Great news :D I am really looking forward to the leakage detector and one day hopefully the calcium probe. BTW you have got me wondering what those other goodies could be. I can only guess at the stirrer motors for the dosing pump, I have to assume since they put the outlets on the doser, its in the works. :) I'm sure there something else but I'm not ready too pay the ultimate price to find out:D

Untamed12
01/29/2007, 12:57 AM
Love my AQT...but they should be concentrating on making their controller better/more flexible at controlling things...not on creating dedicated things like dosing pumps and leak sensors.

To put that another way...I need a controller to control dosing pumps, not another company that makes dosing pumps.

Leak sensors are a dime-a-dozen. Don't create something that already exists...improve the controller so these devices can work with it.

I'm concerned that AQT is headed toward being too closed architecture. "We're not interested in modifying the controller to work with dosing pumps, just purchase ours"

Pumps? I hope not.

ik2vov
01/29/2007, 04:33 AM
As Wavey wrote, Aquatronica is working on a prototype dimming module. Aquatronica for the moment can't work on an electronic ballast because a law (European?) tells that only who products lights can produce ballast.... so they will develop the dimmer module.

Bye

RobbyG
01/29/2007, 02:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9102454#post9102454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Untamed12
Love my AQT...but they should be concentrating on making their controller better/more flexible at controlling things...not on creating dedicated things like dosing pumps and leak sensors.
To put that another way...I need a controller to control dosing pumps, not another company that makes dosing pumps.

A Dosing pump that is connected to the controller via a Data line has many advantages over a Generic controller that you just plug into the Powerbar.

1) The Ability of the Doser to count it's revolution Accurately and report them back to the controller. A Generic controller works by using the Time that the Plug is turned on and has no idea what else is happening.

2) If a generic doser is unplugged or dead, the controller has no idea and keeps on dosing, regardless of the fact the unit may not even be plugged in! The AQ Doser reports if its plugged out and may report other error conditions.

3) You dont have to waste a Plug on the Powerbar for a doser

Leak sensors are a dime-a-dozen. Don't create something that already exists...improve the controller so these devices can work with it.
[/QUOTE]

I think your missing the point, Yes leak sensors are a dime a dozen, but do you have leak sensors that will report the leak to you at work? Thats the nice thing about this, they will have the same ability to use SMS and Ethernet.

I'm concerned that AQT is headed toward being too closed architecture. "We're not interested in modifying the controller to work with dosing pumps, just purchase ours"
Pumps? I hope not. [/QUOTE]

If they want to make variable speed pumps that work with the AQT then who am I to complain. If they are good pumps I would buy one.
Untamed I get what you are saying, and if it was any other controller company I might agree. You need too take another look at Aquatronica, parent company, take a look at the products they
make, any of them look familiar?
http://www.aeb.it/uk_profilo%20storia.asp
This is a huge company with lots of money engineers etc.
They seem to use designs and parts from AEB industrial equipment to help make AQ equipment. Thats one hell of a resource.

RobbyG
01/29/2007, 02:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9102799#post9102799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ik2vov
As Wavey wrote, Aquatronica is working on a prototype dimming module. Aquatronica for the moment can't work on an electronic ballast because a law (European?) tells that only who products lights can produce ballast.... so they will develop the dimmer module.

Bye

So long as it does 1-10V thats all I want :)

james3200
01/29/2007, 05:56 PM
Hope they are thinking of freshwater planted tanks in their development ;)

Looking forward to the dimming module

Any news on when the PO4 / NO3 probes will be around?

James

jamesdawson
01/29/2007, 11:16 PM
Dimming would be cool, if not pricey.

A reliable Calcium probe, much less PO4/ NO3 probes would put this controller in uncontested 1st place IMHO!

I agree with Robby, Being able to check or be notified when away from your system is what makes this controller.

I am, however, all for product improvement of the controller and software as time goes on (along with additional uses).

James

Untamed12
01/30/2007, 01:00 AM
I think your missing the point, Yes leak sensors are a dime a dozen, but do you have leak sensors that will report the leak to you at work? Thats the nice thing about this, they will have the same ability to use SMS and Ethernet.

How about adding the ability to take action based upon sound, tones or volume of sound? If a flood detector went off, the AQT would "hear" it, and react by SMS or Ethernet. That way, any number of different alarms could be reacted to in different ways. The system could now also react to a flood detector, smoke alarm, CO2 alarm, or burgler alarm. That's developing the controller to have more power and flexibility...and they wouldn't have to create smoke alarms, CO2 alarms or get into the burgler alarm business.

If a generic doser is unplugged or dead, the controller has no idea and keeps on dosing, regardless of the fact the unit may not even be plugged in! The AQ Doser reports if its plugged out and may report other error conditions.

How about creating a motion sensor? My point being that you could use this to tell if your dosing pump was working, but you could also use it for a million other purposes. Rather than create a dosing pump to enable this.... create a system that enables it with all dosing pumps. It's a different way of thinking about the challenge.

I hear you, though... If they can make a product truly better by closing the loop and building an accessory themselves - great. But I think it will be difficult for them to be the best at everything, and they should be very selective when they try.

We've already learned that they aren't the best at making probes, but we're thankful that the system is open architecture enough that we can use industry standard probes instead.

They could easily have put a custom connection on the probes and forced people to purchase their probes only. That's closed architecture thinking and I just wanted to remind them how valuable it is to keep the system as open as possible.

They can't possibly think up all the specific things that we might like to control...but they can give us a flexible platform that has as many input methods/output controls as possible and let us figure it out.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit of a rant. I don't mean it that way. I'm just passionate about my AQT and want it to be better!

gunzo
02/19/2007, 09:35 AM
made my own dimming module while waiting for AQT.. costs probably $10USD for parts.. and you need an extra timer with V-out for the 0-10v dimming ballast

I can post the diagrams if you like and maybe improve on it

RobbyG
02/19/2007, 01:08 PM
Are you using the AQ to control the Dimming or does it initiate some sort of slow startup when the plug comes on?

gunzo
02/20/2007, 04:18 AM
Not using the AQ to control the dimming .. sorry ..

I use the AQ to turn on and off the lights .. the dimming module then comes on or off over a period of time .. and it re creates a pseudo dawn to dusk simulation

Here's the logic I use

0630 Actinics AQ ON
0700 Dimming module starts powering up
0730 Full bright on Actinics
0800-0900 cross over from Actinics to white lights
0900-1030 white lights slowly powers on (Actinics AQ OFF)
1045-1345 actinics come on to simulate noon time (Actinics AQ ON)
1345-1500 dimming of the actinics to signify shifting to afternoon
1500-1630 dimming of the white lights to transition to evening (White AQ OFF)
1630-2000 actinics come on to simulate evening / dusk
2000-2100 transition to night (Actinic OFF)..
Now I need to write a moonlight program :p

RobbyG
02/20/2007, 12:34 PM
Ok now I am even more confused, I must not be understanding this correctly, for starters the AQ Actinics come on at 6:30am and the Dimmer Module at 7:00 AM?? I would have thought that you had built some sort of module that plugs into one of the Powerbar 110V plugs and when activated outputs 1 to 10V slowly incrementing the voltage over a 30 minute period then when the plug is powered down it goes from 10V - 1V in the same 30 minute period. I assumed the whole thing would get power from a 12V wall transformer or something like that.
Is this sort of what your doing?

gunzo
02/20/2007, 04:49 PM
RobbyG, I have a separate timer unit that outputs 0-10v based on time of the day that is separate from AQT powerplug.

Yes you're right ..the dimming unit gets the power from a separate 12v transformer ..

AQ controls the ON/OFF of the main lights
the Dimming / Timer unit controls the 0-10v output over a span of 10-120mins (controllable)

I was initially trying to use the USB ports .. but I needed the source codes to talk to the AQ unit .. I'm not that smart yet :lol:

MikeD
03/07/2007, 11:13 PM
Would a t5 dimmer work on the t5's on lets say the Sfiliogoi Infinity series?

ik2vov
03/08/2007, 04:48 AM
Hi MikeD,

I don't know the Sfiligoi Infinity T5 dimmerable ballast, if it's a standard 0-10V dimmerable ballast I think it will be possible to control it.

Bye

jamesdawson
03/24/2007, 07:24 PM
Hi Gilberto,

Any more news on the Dimming Module?

Can you confirm or deny if it will interface and control standard T5 0-10V dimmable ballasts like Osrams/ Phillips?

Thanks,

James

ik2vov
03/26/2007, 11:05 AM
Hi jamesdawson,

no news on the Dimming Module, I think Aquatronica Engineers are working on this.
I understood the interface will control the standard dimmerable ballasts (0-10V) like the most dimmerable ballasts needs.

Bye

jamesdawson
04/17/2007, 11:23 AM
Hello Gilberto,

Is their any way to find out if the dimming module will control analog or electronically dimmable ballasts or perhaps both?

Thanks,

James

ik2vov
04/20/2007, 09:23 AM
Hello Jamesdawson,

the project of the dimmer is scheduled for next year, this will be a 0-10V dimmer for standard T5/T8 lamps.

Bye

RobbyG
04/20/2007, 12:59 PM
This 1 year of factory testing is killing me.
Gilberto ask them why they don't just setup 12 Beta testers and cut the test time in half.

I understand the 1 year testing on Probes, but a Dimming module or Leak detector, that length is not needed.

james3200
04/21/2007, 11:22 AM
RobbyG, i think you forget that Aquatronica is an Italian company, and Italians are notoriously relaxed and like to work at their own pace.. i can say this being half Italian :P

Would like to see this coming out quicker too...

RobbyG
04/21/2007, 11:48 AM
I have heard that :)

jamesdawson
04/21/2007, 01:45 PM
I have no problem with being relaxed and having good testing/quality control. However, Aquatronica could miss out on being the first controller in widespread North American use to bring to market a T5 dimmer module and miss the opportunity to wrap up considerable market share in this way.

I believe that T5 dimming will fairly quickly become popular once it becomes available. ReefGeek is going to bring in ATI fixtures with dimmible ballasts as an option and the Fauna Marin fixtures can also be had with dimmible ballasts. I'm sure retro kits and other manufactures won't be far behind once it gets going.

Aquatronica listened to us about the Ethernet Module so there is a precedent here!

James

James

ik2vov
04/23/2007, 03:25 AM
Robert,
I probably wrote in a wrong way.
The dimmer module will begun to be studied at the end of the year.... there is nothing ready to be tested....... This is a probable future module.

Bye

RobbyG
04/23/2007, 07:21 PM
Gilberto that is really opposite news to what we all have been hearing. James is right, if Aquatronica hits the market with T5 and the leak detectors they could become the big player.

ik2vov
04/24/2007, 10:34 AM
RobbyG,
you probably have better informations then mine ;)

The official answer from Aquatronica is the one I wrote here, I would be happy too if they will release a dimmer, but this will not be studied before the end of the year.

Bye