PDA

View Full Version : phosphate a little high any ideas

chicksreef
01/12/2007, 02:05 PM
Can anyone answer my question, all my water perimeters are perfect calcium a little low will adjust calcium reactor for that, but my phosphate is 0.5, i recently bought a yellowed eye tang, that had ick, and been treating with kick ick thanks for your help.

David Grigor
01/12/2007, 04:50 PM
Lost of things can be done to lower phosphates, I'd probably review my overall maintenance before resorting to a phosphate remover of some kind.

I have no idea is kick ick would have any impact on phosphates but unlikely. I personally never treat show tank only treat in quarantine.

Here is a quick recap of the big items to review, there is plenty of information about reducing phophates so do some additional research as well:

1. Food: feed sparingly avoid flake as high in phosphates, any frozen rinse in ro/di before feeding.
2. Water: make sure your using good clean water for all top off and water changes. Be sure RO/DI unit filters are in tip/top shape and water output TDS reading as close to 0 as possible.
3. Export: bigger the skimmer the better. skim wet will help export. Refugium with macro algae will help consume and outcompete from show tank.
4. Keep ALK/CA/PH levels as stable as possible and at or above natural salt water levels to promote coraline algae and help outcompete nuisance algae.
5. CA reactor, dissolved media could be adding phosphate. Review and make sure using good quality CA media.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/12/2007, 05:15 PM
This article suggests ways to reduce phosphate:

Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php