PDA

View Full Version : Red Patch on clownfish side

mistybellis
01/12/2007, 04:38 PM
Sorry, I can't post a pic, but my clownfish that I have had for about 4 years has developed a red patch on his left side. It is on the white stripe on his body. He is still eating and swimming around, but tends to hide more than usual. A week ago I noticed he had white, stringy poo - but I haven't seen anything else as far as the poo goes since then. Is it possible that he has some kind of parasite or that another fish is nipping him? About 2 weeks ago I added yellow polyps and a clam to the tank (no quarantine). The only other tank inhabitants are a baggani cardinalfish and a cleaner shrimp (I have had for about 2 months). If anyone has suggestions on how I can treat my little clown, I would really appreciate it. I don't want to loose him. :mixed:

nycbrose
01/12/2007, 04:48 PM
Does it look more like a patch or a wound?

mistybellis
01/12/2007, 04:51 PM
It looks more like a patch to me. He is always turning to where I can only see his "good" side, but from what I can tell, it doesn't appear to be an open wound. I think it is something internal showing through.

Ebmorri
01/12/2007, 04:53 PM
Might do a search for "Hemorrhagic Septicemia" to see if thats what it looks like or as stated above it it a wound. With a pic it might be hard to say, without a pic it's gonna be harder to say.

Erick

mistybellis
01/16/2007, 08:15 PM
Okay, so the red patch is still there. The clownfish appears to have a distended abdomen (rib cage?) and the white slime feces is back again. I think he is breathing rapidly. I stopped by the LFS today to see what medications they had and they didn't have any meds to match the symptoms I describe. I think the clownfish has internal parasites as well as a bacterial infection (I checked out my library of reef books and this is what I came up with). I did a 10 gallon water change today to improve the water quality of the tank. I am planning another 10 gallon water change for tomorrow. I am willing to setup a "hospital tank", but don't know how to effectively treat him yet. I am desperate to save him so someone please help me!!! :( :( :(

mistybellis
01/17/2007, 12:06 PM
I am ready to order meds........just need a little advice from the pros please :) All suggestions are welcome..
:D