PDA

View Full Version : Advice on drilling my 29g

Mtown
01/12/2007, 08:25 PM
I plan on drilling my 29g, but I'm wondering how I could check if it is tempered. My 29g is a standard perfecto brand.

Also if I had clearance to drill the tank I planned 3 holes at the back wall. The center will be the overflow and the two sides will be the return. I need to know what the diameter should be for each hole and what type/size of drill bit I should use.

Thanks in advance

hllywd
01/12/2007, 09:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Solitaryensis
Loves,
Which bits did you purchase and where did you buy them? Im getting ready to drill a tank as well and wasnt sure which bit to purchase. TIA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://richontools.com/catalog/i174.html

This works with a sch 40 1" bulkhead.

Tim

hllywd
01/12/2007, 09:15 PM
A 29 is probably not tempered but to be safe I check the glass as follows.

(It) works best for me outside in the sunlight where I can use the sky as a uniform background. 1 lens* on each side of the glass to be tested. Rotate the lenses until they block most of the light passing through them and move them across the glass in unison. If the glass is tempered you'll see light and dark patterns in the glass if it's not there will be no paterns.

The SIDE windows of your car (NOT THE WINDSHIELD) are tempered check it there first so you know what to look for. The pattern in a tempered tank isn't usually as pronounced as the car window but still easily visible.

* I'm using the term lens interchangably for the term filter, such as a camera filter. I personally use a 62mm camera filter and my (polarized) sunglasses.

Tim